Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing a cabin

I am on a large vessel with a large number of crew that's calls frequently at nice locations around the world. I am on here for around three months and I have to share a very small cabin. I have to share the small cabin with a very annoying cadet who is in the same phase as myself. The other cadet doesn't clean up after himself and leaves the already small space a tip, copies everything and has to look at everything I do, questions everything I type on my computer, questions me wherever I go on the ship and finally is just an annoying person to talk to or be near!! I have only been on here for two weeks and its driving me mad!!! I've always wanted to work at sea and now that this is happening, its actually putting me off my cadetship and future career! Somebody please help before it's too late and I go insane!!!

Ask the skipper if you can move cabins? If you can't do that go sleep in the hospital.

Comment

You could try communicating your unhappiness to the other cadet first?
      I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

If there are some more cadets onboard, could you switch cabins with them. Thats what happened when I was on a HAL ship.
        Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Good training for the future when the company arsehole joins a ship you're on
          io parlo morse

Comment

Originally posted by endure View Post
            Good training for the future when the company arsehole joins a ship you're on
            You aren't generally forced to share a tiny cabin with them though :P

Resolve your differences with a friendly pillow fight!

Comment

I'm presuming you are on a cruise ship, this is of course excellent experience in developing your interpersonal and communication skills, an absolutely critical skill to be a good officer. You will need to discuss with the person involved, then if that doesn't help you will contact your immediate supervisor and ask them for advice and explain what you have done try and resolve the situation. If the other cadet is as bad as you suggest, I'm sure your issue will come as no surprise to your superiors.
              Also, perhaps start doing any reports in the ships office or on the bridge/ECR, away from this cadet and also where the officers can see you are working.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                I am on a large vessel with a large number of crew that's calls frequently at nice locations around the world. I am on here for around three months and I have to share a very small cabin. I have to share the small cabin with a very annoying cadet who is in the same phase as myself. The other cadet doesn't clean up after himself and leaves the already small space a tip, copies everything and has to look at everything I do, questions everything I type on my computer, questions me wherever I go on the ship and finally is just an annoying person to talk to or be near!! I have only been on here for two weeks and its driving me mad!!! I've always wanted to work at sea and now that this is happening, its actually putting me off my cadetship and future career! Somebody please help before it's too late and I go insane!!!
                Stick it out and don't let it get to you too much! Have a word with your HOD and make them aware, they are less likely to keep putting the two of you on the same task if they see your unhappy!

I was in the exact same situation myself. Spoke to the Staff Captain after 2 weeks requesting to Disembark, the request he refused and advised me to leave it another 2 weeks and then reconsider. 4 years later i'm back at sea and the other cadet dropped out at the start of phase 2!

Its only early inn your career, don't let someone else jeopardise it!

Comment

Pretty much whay YM said, talk to the other cadet, step away from the things that you can like doing your work in the office etc. and talk to your cabin mate about keeping the cabin more tidy
                  Go out, do stuff

Comment

Pretty much what YM said, change what you can change, do your reports and any personal internet use etc. somewhere else like an office or the bridge / ECR etc.

Speak to your cabin mate about keeping the cabin tidy and make sure that your stuff is alway stowed properly so that if anyone comes in and finds the cabin to be a mess you can explain that it is not your mess. If your cabin mate does not respond to your requests to tidy up then speak to your onboard training officer and explain the situation and that you have asked him to be more tidy.

In terms of him being "an annoying peeson" that is something that you need to deal with, unless he is doing anything which breeches the company code of conduct then there is really not mucj that you can do.

The one thing that I would say is that if he as bad as you say then he will probably not be making a very good impression workwise either, make sure that you do, be atttentive and punctual, make ssure that you put the effort in with your workbook and reports and if you have to take it further then they will be looking at the good keen cadet raising an issue with the messy lazy cadet.
                    Go out, do stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Pop My Rivet View Post
                      Ask the skipper if you can move cabins? If you can't do that go sleep in the hospital.
                      Just no, going and sleeping in the hospital (on a cargo ship) without telling anyone risks no-one knowing where you are in an emergency as well as the ship facing issues during port state control inspections. On a cruise ship it risks a very upset (or more dangerously a very pleased) nurse.
                      Go out, do stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Clanky View Post
                        (or more dangerously a very pleased) nurse.
                        I see no problem with this...

Comment

Originally posted by JSTORM View Post
                          I see no problem with this...
                          You realise that a lot of nurses are male these days, I know quite a few personally, they're bloody fantastic at their job and should not be underestimated..... *arches an eyebrow* xx

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Originally posted by size4riggerboots View Post
                            You realise that a lot of nurses are male these days
                            You think I have a problem with this...?

Comment

Crocs? FFS!
                              io parlo morse

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X