Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by marlinspike View Post
    Personally I've not worked with many female seafarers, but I've heard from many folk that it can create an additional work burden when you have a female employee that is a bit weak in terms of physical strength, as when it comes to some heavy lifting jobs they can't do it by themselves and need to collar in the assistance of ratings from their existing jobs or add work load onto the other officers who are physically capable of working autonomously.
    I already addressed this point on page 6 of this thread;

If anyone can come up with any reason why a woman is less capable of taking a watch, maintaining equipment, wearing BA kit, navigating etc etc, I'd genuinely love to hear it. If anyone wants to pull out the old "physical strength" bull****, then remember that the maximum weight that anyone should ever lift on their own is 25kg, which is a piece of piss, and after that Chapter 10 of COSWP dictates that you find alternative means. Most heavy things on ships are really heavy though, and we have these things called "cranes", "trolleys", "chain blocks", "handy billys", "capstans", "Winches" "windlasses" and various other items which, of course, we only have on board now because of the potential for lady seafarers, before they allowed ladies on ships all of that stuff was done by hand wasn't it? Oh, wait....
    Not all men who go to sea, particularly the officers, are big burly blokes who can bench press their own weight, it's not just women who need help occasionally. Admittedly, women are more likely to ask for help because there's less stigma attached to it for them than for a man to ask for help. Inevitably, the chaps who refuse to ask for help or get the correct piece of equipment to lift something are the ones who then do their back in, thereby causing more work for everyone else...

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

• So are you saying that an officer taking pride in their burlyness is a bad thing? :P I was probably going to have more in common with the ratings anyway...

Comment

• There's nothing wrong with being proud of your physical fitness/6 pack/beer gut, however, shaming others for not being the same as you is wrong.

Size4riggerboots

Comment

• I was being facetious. I am of the opinion though that someone should have the physical ability to do their job capably though, not that that's a problem in this scenario.

Comment

• I really wish I could be a fly on the wall when the OP starts his seagoing career and his misguided preconceptions meet the cold, harsh light of reality and realises that gender bears no indication of competence or ability!

Comment

• Originally posted by All At Sea View Post
              I really wish I could be a fly on the wall when the OP starts his seagoing career

Wouldn't it be fun if the Mate on his first ship was S4...
              io parlo morse

Comment

• Sorry, too many pages couldn't read them all.

In the engine room carrying around parts can be physically demanding, especially when you can?t use a chain block.

On the deck side there are some jobs that require strength, like pressure testing fire hoses, if you want to do it alone without bothering ratings, you need to be able to carry several hoses up and down stairs in a short space of time.

Even so, there are probably as many male crew who are too lazy to jobs that they could do by themselves that they get ratings to do it for them, so it?s not exactly a big problem if a female who is not as strong can?t do it.

Some people have the chauvinistic Alan Sugar attitude that female employees are a waste of finance in terms of training, as if they start having children they?ll abandon working at sea to get a land job to look after their kids, but male employees move from company to company so it?s probably doesn?t make a huge difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by marlinspike View Post
                  but male employees move from company to company so it’s probably doesn’t make a huge difference.
                  Surely this should just read employees, no? A penis doesn't inherently make one more likely to jump ship than a woman.

Originally posted by marlinspike View Post
                  if they start having children they’ll abandon working at sea to get a land job to look after their kids
                  I know plenty of men who've moved shoreside / to ports for this reason. It isn't gender specific.

Comment

• Regardless of what politically correct bubble you live in, generally on planet earth the female of a species looks after the raising of the next generation. It's not a hard and fast rule, but on the whole generally is.

Comment

• I've been told outright that there's no point in training me because I'm just going to bugger off and have babies as soon as I'm qualified. I found this offensive because I have no intrest in having children, the assumption that every woman feels the need to have children is a massive over generalisation. Secondly, as the main breadwinner in my household, if I did ever change my mind, my partner would take on the role of stay at home parent while I went back to work. I personally know of at least 2 women who have taken this choice already, with a further 2 who are currently still on maternity leave but are planning on returning to work on ship.

Size4riggerboots

Comment

• Politically correct bubble? Really? I'm for from a politically correct person, I just feel that people deserve to be judged based on their own merits.

The only difference between the sexes which might affect a shipping job is physical strength and that's barely a consideration anymore given that most of the work is done with mechanical aids. As you've already attested to, most male deck officers are too lazy to do the physically demanding parts of their job themselves ergo its a level playing field.

Comment

• Having a family and children can be liveable if you work on a small ferry and go home every evening.

I am of the opinion that deep sea sailors should not have children , because what kind of relations can grow though this lifestyle ? being away 6 months of the year and being at home another 6 months ? Two extremes put together cannot bring anything positive for a growing child and for the wife as well.

The most shocking from what I have seen , is that most deep sea men do have wife and children. I can't respect them , I am sorry.

I feel sick when I see all those Filipinos having plenty of children , spending sometimes a year at sea , going home for one month or two not getting paid on leave and go back to sea again. It is not about being racist , but how is it possible to show even the slightest respect for such people who decide to live such slavish lives ? Nobody has forced them into the ship , they do that on their own consent. Feeling sick.

Comment

• Originally posted by ratguardking View Post
                            Having a family and children can be liveable if you work on a small ferry and go home every evening.

I am of the opinion that deep sea sailors should not have children , because what kind of relations can grow though this lifestyle ? being away 6 months of the year and being at home another 6 months ? Two extremes put together cannot bring anything positive for a growing child and for the wife as well.

The most shocking from what I have seen , is that most deep sea men do have wife and children. I can't respect them , I am sorry.

I feel sick when I see all those Filipinos having plenty of children , spending sometimes a year at sea , going home for one month or two not getting paid on leave and go back to sea again. It is not about being racist , but how is it possible to show even the slightest respect for such people who decide to live such slavish lives ? Nobody has forced them into the ship , they do that on their own consent. Feeling sick.

io parlo morse

Comment

• Oh my oh my another can of worms has opened.....do you have a family ratguardking? I can see this thread growing by another 12 pages.....
                              When it comes to parenting and peoples views on children and family life, values etc etc I can confidently say it's a bigger topic than gender, and is more likely to cause lots of comments!

Comment

• Originally posted by endure View Post
                                Waiting for Billy Goat S4ruff to come along?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X