Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girls on Ships

If everything goes right I'll be going to college later this year to start my cadetship.
    I'm really excited about it even though it's a few months away.

I'm just worried about one thing...
    I know large ocean going ships can be very dangerous places. My worry is how many women are there usually on deep sea vessels such as container ships?

I'm fine with working with all sorts of people but if there's perhaps a fire or an emergency I fear I might be in the hands of a woman...

This might sound silly coming from someone young and idk maybe I'm just being silly about the whole thing, but are there quotas on some ships like they have in other institutions? (e.g. X % of crew must be female) Because if so I just don't think I'll be able to shake this from the back of my mind.

I've spoken to sailors much older than me about this but it's kind of useless since they were in the industry decades ago and I assume it's all changed what with society getting more liberal/progressive.

Please don't call me a sexist or anything like that. I don't hate women or fear them. I just don't really feel safe when they're doing mostly male jobs.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    If everything goes right I'll be going to college later this year to start my cadetship.

I know large ocean going ships can be very dangerous places. My worry is how many women are there usually on deep sea vessels such as container ships?

I'm fine with working with all sorts of people but if there's perhaps a fire or an emergency I fear I might be in the hands of a woman...

This might sound silly coming from someone young and idk maybe I'm just being silly about the whole thing, but are there quotas on some ships like they have in other institutions? (e.g. X % of crew must be female) Because if so I just don't think I'll be able to shake this from the back of my mind.

I've spoken to sailors much older than me about this but it's kind of useless since they were in the industry decades ago and I assume it's all changed what with society getting more liberal/progressive.

Please don't call me a sexist or anything like that. I don't hate women or fear them. I just don't really feel safe when they're doing mostly male jobs.
    Oh dear....

No, there are no quota's in this industry and I can't actually think of one where there is? (Norland Nannies maybe?). I think there are roughly 2% of women within this industry and, happily, that number is rising, albeit a little slowly. The concept of this being a man only job is as dead as whatever is between your ears and I've both met and worked with women in this industry who are more than capable of doing the various roles both on board and ashore.

If you are not willing to work with a woman in this industry, then I would suggest you bugger off and find another industry.
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I understand your fears , but you don't need to worry about that. From my cadet experience most of the girls I saw , dropped out before getting qualified and the small number that got qualified decided to do a shore job instead of going to sea, many became teachers. Many of my lecturers just finished their cadetship and joined the same college as teacher.

You are very unlikely to find any girls on deep sea vessels. And I believe that Guinessmann's information of alleged increase in merchant navy girls in not correct.

Comment

Dear God - we're back in the 18th century.
        io parlo morse

Comment

io parlo morse

Comment

Originally posted by ratguardking View Post
            I understand your fears , but you don't need to worry about that. From my cadet experience most of the girls I saw , dropped out before getting qualified and the small number that got qualified decided to do a shore job instead of going to sea, many became teachers. Many of my lecturers just finished their cadetship and joined the same college as teacher.

You are very unlikely to find any girls on deep sea vessels. And I believe that Guinessmann's information of alleged increase in merchant navy girls in not correct.
            S4 will be along in a while to disabuse you
            io parlo morse

Comment

I don't have anything against women. Working with women can be nice in some specific professions.

In the merchant navy women are very present in cruise ships and ferries mainly in catering and housekeeping but also as deck officers. But saying that women are widespread in deep sea cargo ships is just a lie.

Comment

Listen, if you fear that your safety will be left in the "hands" of a woman then you need to come around to reality fairly quickly before you proceed with this career, or any other might I add. Any female Officer, be it Senior or Junior has met the same standards of training and qualifications as any male officer. I have sailed with several female officers, who would put a large amount of lads on board to shame with their standard of knowledge and skill. So, maybe we'll just put this post down to your naivety

Comment

I've sailed with a good number of women, most of have been good, some have been excellent and a few incompetent, probably the same ratio as the men I've sailed with.
                  One of my best mentors is a female Captain who I have the utmost respect for and taught me a great deal. Airliners operate with all female flight deck crews and ships operate with female Officers, and the operations are to the highest most professional standards. If you think that women are less capable, you are seriously deluded. If it comes to arguments about emotions or strengths, I could introduce you to men and women opposite to any of your ridiculous stereotypes.

Comment

Women on ships are bad luck.

Comment

And one final comment; working on a ship requires an open mind and flexible attitude, a lot of thinking outside the box when things go wrong. Perhaps you don't have that attitude and should look towards something a bit more straightforward.

Comment

Ha you have a lot to learn about women! In my younger days men had a similar view about some of us working in roles that they saw as male places. I've experienced the you shouldn't be working here, shouldn't you be having babies or something best you walk now before I push you. I found I was in a minority where at industry events there were a max of five women and several hundred men. That changed and it much more level now aside from the pay gap at the upper end.
                        I would say only some of the very physical jobs where brute strength is probably a big part of a job may for some women be an issue.
                        But also know some women who would run rings around many men with the physical capability. For instance could you swim the English Channel both ways without stopping? I know a few who can and they are not that young as they are in their 50's now.

Women girls are now getting better academic grades than boys, and more of them are getting university education than males are. Perhaps you spent lots of time around giggling squealing girlies who like to portray the I'm a useless girlie can you help me thingy as female role models, and that's how you have formed your view of us as not safe in an emergency as its the only thing I can think of.
                        Beware the giggling girlies as they are clever enough to have you running around doing things for them! There are however many women out there who will be as capable as any man under exactly the same conditions, and they will not be very happy having to spend time or demonstrate that they are to you.
                        If I have one piece of advice it's this treat everyone equally regardless of gender race religion or colour, rid yourself or stereotypes and you'll find the world a far easier place to live in.

Comment

I hope you aren't joining us.

Just imagine how this scenario would have ended with a woman in charge... oh wait!

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/t...oreigners.html

Comment

This is a wind up, yeah?

Comment

You don't feel safe in the hands of a woman......remind us

your mother is a.......?
                              Lots of Nurses are.........?
                              Lots of Doctors are..........?
                              Lots of air traffic controllers are..........?

Yeah I'd be ****ting myself if I had your sttitude, stay in bed...on no wait you can't cos there will be a woman along shortly to change your nappy.

Please tell me you are joining the big blue canoe team, I have just the ship for you.....................

*Service Order for more cadets raised with the relevant authorities*
                              Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                              Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                              No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X