No announcement yet.

Constant cheating

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constant cheating

I'm in phase 1 and currently doing the HND marine engineering I currently studying the HNC aspect of the course. By the day I am becoming even more frustrated with a certain individuals constant cheating. The individual relys on bringing other people notes into the exam, has no interest in revising and achieves higher grade than the majority of individuals in my class . I don't find it fair as I work hard daily and so do the majority of others do also. Will this backfire in the graded unit or will there be flaws where this person can cheat as I don't think this person deserves to go to sea as he is only interested in the money and does no work. Things like this usually don't bother me but it's this certain persons arrogance and whole attitude and wondering if there is anything I could do.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, the person in question won't be able to cheat in the SQAs or the oral. If they carry on the way they are then they'll fail, simple as.

Comment

Basically, its not your job to police the exams, that should be done by the college and lecturers. running and telling will not probably help. firstly they wont do anything on your word (although in future exams they may be more observant) so all your really going to do is get some bad feeling in the class.
      Its phase 1 if he isn't interested in learning then he really wont get on well on the job and he will get to a point he cant cheat past and haven't not learnt the basics will then make it harder.
      ultimately your at college for you so concentrate on that
      you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Cheats never win in the end. Other people supporting them by giving the person notes to use wont help in the end. Amazed too anyone is allowed to bring in other papers to an exam, that seems rather slack, invigilators are not doing a very good job!

Just ignore it and carry on, yes it's frustrating, sadly you will find in the world of work those that always seem to come up smelling of roses despite not working as hard or as well as others.
        If the cheat gets found out then they will be out on their ear, colleges usually have strict regulations. Same as they do for plagiarism etc, they spend a great deal of money on software to spot it.
        You will at least know that the efforts you have made have given you the grades you deserve, it will ultimately increase your confidence in your own abilities.

Comment

All you should be interested in is doing the very best you can for your own career. Ignore him - he'll not prosper.
          io parlo morse

Comment

The HND exams don't seem to be highly policed by the colleges from what I've seen and been told but it can only last so long. If this happens when you start doing proper assignments the people helping him will just be screwing themselves over as their work will also be considered plagiarized.

He won't be able to BS his way through the orals (in the unlikely event he gets that far) so smile knowing that only one of you has a realistic career as an engine officer

Comment

Unfortunately theirs nothing you can do about it, we had about 5 individuals in our group, that pretty much freeloaded and while we worked our asses off they did naff all, tried to copy in tests (didnt help them much). Even on the FD course which is only meant to be a "one fail", these guy failed multiple units but were still on the course some how, even with overdue course work. I don't know if they actually got their FD in the end, but a lot of time they would some how just manage to get the pass mark

Sadly nothing you can do

Comment

If he does manage to blag his way through phase 1 just hope that he manages to get his first trip with some hairy arsed old Chief who gives him a world of grief and misery
                io parlo morse

Comment

We've got one or two at our college too, so it's not an isolated issue.

Don't worry though, they'll get their comeuppance once orals roll around!
                  Pointy bit is the front, blunt bit is the back... Simples!

Will work for money/sea time.

Comment

I may know of the certain individual you could be hinting about! Time will tell in the next few weeks for the graded unit. Nothing is more frustrating when you spend hours writing perfect preparation notes only for someone to take a picture of them and use it to cheat in the exam! Even worse when they criticise your handwriting!
                    Unlimited Class III/1 Engineer Officer of the Watch

Comment

Lol......just wait for the orals

Comment

There were several cadets I knew of who cheated on every exam and as far as I'm aware they're still in college on the failure cycle doing their IAMI exams... the rest of us have been qualified just under two years.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        x
                        Working...
                        X