X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watchmans curse.

Hey guys

Since iv started sailing as a qualified officer having my own watches etc Iv started waking up during the night in my cabin with complete fear that iv hit something or fallen asleep on watch. I never experienced it as a cadet and thought that it would pass as I got use to the third mates position. Iv got about 5 months sea time as an officer now but still cant seem to shift it. Iv noticed that it only occurs when we are at sea and never when the ship is tied up in port. Was wondering if anyone else experiences this and has any tips or if its just a phase and will pass. Obviously its not that much of a deal as after about 10 minutes I realise im in my cabin and just go back to sleep. I would guess it could be stress related but I dont feel stressed/ nervous at all on the bridge and im perfectly happy working on the ship im on.

Any feedback is most welcome.

Hopefully someone who has a bit more relevant experience will come along, I have had dreams of bad stuff happening in the engine room and went through a spell of it when I was first promoted to chief, but it went away.

Is this your first trip to sea or have you been home on leave and come back to sea? If it's your first trip I would see how your next trip pans out and take it from there, although you feel relaxed and confident that first trip can always be a nervous time, possibly subconsciously.

If it doesn't go away then I would speak to a doctor about arranging to see a psychologist / psychiatrist, I imagine that this sort of thing is relatively common and if they can't fix it then they might at least help you to cope with it happening.

Hope it all works out.
    Go out, do stuff

Comment

I think most deck officers go through this early on, I know I had it occasionally and know someone who had it badly for year or so. Of course it just means you care, just try to stay in control of it and it will pass as you become more confident.

Comment

I also get this sometimes. Doesn't bother me apart from it wakes me up then I realise "oh wait I'm not on the bridge I'm in bed" haha.

Comment

Yeah I get it too, almost every night at sea and thats on a ship where there is very little traffic, very good working conditions and good officers and crew. I just get used to it.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it. It's when you wake up and you find yourself still on watch that you may want to panic.
            They told me I was gullible and I believed them.

https://twitter.com/ASFrance

Instagram: ASFrance

Comment

I used to have this - I would dream I was on watch and that there was loads of traffic and a collision was about to occur - so I would call the Captain. Then all the ships would disappear and the Captain would come to the bridge and I would have to explain myself.

I still haven't decided whether this nightmare was caused by the fear of collision, being made to look incompetent or having to call the psychotic Captain (probably all three).

I know people working offshore who suffer from similar things as sometimes the work is fairly intensive and dangerous.

I wouldn't worry too much it will wear off as your confidence level increases.

Comment

I have dreamt of watching the echo sounder as I (unintentionally) run the ship aground. Only once or twice.

Comment

I never dreamt much while I was at sea but a recurring dream since I came ashore is that I've gone back to sea and have completely forgotten morse code. The OM brings me a telegram and I lock myself in the shack and refuse to come out. That's when I usually wake up. I still get it even now and it's 30 years since my last trip.
                  io parlo morse

Comment

Never had these worries. Have woke up in my cabin confused as hell as am not sure where I am.

Comment

Happens to me at sea once or twice a week.

Wake up in a panic looking for the green glow of my radar and realise I'm in bed.

A few times I have even got dressed before I realise I am in my cabin! (Which is odd because I don't tend to go on watch in my underwear)

Comment

I always used to have problems when I first got home on leave. I'd wake up in the middle of the night wondering if we'd had a breakdown as everything was so quiet.
                        io parlo morse

Comment

Originally posted by endure View Post
                          I always used to have problems when I first got home on leave. I'd wake up in the middle of the night wondering if we'd had a breakdown as everything was so quiet.
                          I had not long gotten home from sea once, when someone knocked on the door at 08:00, my ex apparently asked me to go and answer the door and, getting no response, asked a bit louder, still nothing so a gentle nudge was followed by a much less gentle nudge with no more than a grunt from me. Eventually she lent over and whispered softly in my ear "the engines have stopped", the first part of the story that I actually remember is standing beside the bed, looking for a boiler suit and wondering why she was laughing so much.
                          Go out, do stuff

Comment

Falling asleep in front of my TV in my cabin used to put the frighteners on me - a TV thru hazy eyes looks remarkably like a radar.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                            x
                            x
                            Working...
                            X