Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cadet cabin sharing

Is there any regulations regarding cabin size when sharing. I am currently sharing a cabin on a passenger ferry with another cadet, it is a 2 berth passenger cabin and there is no room whatsoever to place bags or hang clothes (shirts trouser etc) it's only been a couple of days so far but it's starting to get annoying when tripping over shoes,bags etc.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

In short no - while there are flag specific regulations the vessels cabins will have been approved by class / flag during construction and like everything in the maritime industry if it's approved then it's approved regardless of what the regulations may actually say.

if it's a passenger cabin it's probably more spacious than the crew cabins with 2 or more people in them.

Welcome to the world of passenger ships.
    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

There are ILO regulations on cabin size, but it's a long time since I've looked at them.

A different question would be whether a space approved as passenger accommodation is also considered to be approved as crew accommodation, and whether that matters.

If you fight it, you'll piss off the shipboard and shoreside management, which may be to the detriment of your cadetship.

Comment

I was going to scoff at this, but on second thought I'm really glad that such attitudes and regulations do actually exist in the industry. We should all be striving to make our living & working conditions the best they can be in the circumstances surely?

If you can look at your situation objectively and its the best you can do onboard then you're gonna have to suck it up, but if its affecting your training then it may be worth a mature and measured comment. Nothing may change for you but perhaps your successors may be better off and we've taken a forward step?

In the mean time, use your ingenuity and chat to the chippy to help you make some storage. A bit of string makes a hanging rail if you try hard enough

Oh I might have a little scoff... I spent my year of RN fleet time split between a camp bed in a switchboard room and a 6'6''x8' cabin shared with 3 another smelly YOs and some vent trunking. So I know it sucks!
        CM(U) on Superyachts
        SSTG Cadet 2015-2017
        Ex Royal Navy Navigator.

Comment

ILO States for a pax ship and a 2 person berth its 7.5sqm...so not alot

Comment

Cadets always complaining about sharing...

Comment

If you're watchkeeping and sharing with a dayworker then it can get annoying.
              CM(U) on Superyachts
              SSTG Cadet 2015-2017
              Ex Royal Navy Navigator.

Comment

The cabin does sound appallingly small, clearly designed for pax making an overnight not for two people living together. I would talk to your Chief Officer or Captain about it.

Comment

Maerskies don't share. Unless I'm being really naive in believing everything my recruiter told me!

Comment

Originally posted by old woman of the sea View Post
                    Maerskies don't share. Unless I'm being really naive in believing everything my recruiter told me!
                    Never believe recruiters. How do you think I wound up here!?
                    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

On this occasion he's right though......
                      Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                      Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                      No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Is there no space under the bunks? Without being rude, is the cabin space as tidy as it could be?

I shared a cabin for 9 months as a cadet and while it was small, I was never tripping over items. If your cabin mate is untidy you're well within your right to politely tell them to tidy up.
                        "My Job"

It's not my place to run the boat
                        the fog horn I can't blow.

It's not my place to say just where
                        the boat's allowed to go

It's not my right to dock the boat
                        or even clang the bell

But let the damn thing
                        start to sink AND SEE WHO CATCHES HELL!

Comment

2 words.....

Cabin Inspection

Why isn't that being done by someone?
                          Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                          Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                          No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Sharing a cabin isn't an issue as a cadet, and in fact I would have no problems now sharing a cabin with a female cadet. However, it does need to be designed for two people living,

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefy View Post
                              2 words.....

Cabin Inspection

Why isn't that being done by someone?
                              The mate asked myself and the cadet to do inspections of the ratings cabins down in the bilges ... some of the things I seen... Worst had to be the guy who had filled down a european plug to stick into a US socket or the guy who was cooking in a kettle...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X