No announcement yet.

A nagging thought

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A nagging thought

This has been playing on my mind for a while and I'd like some re-assurance if possible. I finished my cadetship in the middle of last year but have not sailed as a qualified deck officer yet (due to personal and professional reasons). It looks like I'll be job hunting next year but I am can't shake the feeling that I may have forgotten some vital training I learned as a cadet due to the gap, is this usually the case? Or does it all come rushing back to you when you step aboard? I don't want to be an incompetent officer and I want to hit the sea running, so to speak. Help/advice/suggestions are welcome.

I'm about to join my first ship as a junior engineer and I feel exactly the same. It's not a worry that I think I'm an idiot or I've forgotten everything... it's a worry that I'll be a disappointment to the crew, being their most junior member.

My only way of thinking about it in a good light is that 1) they were once as inexperienced as me, 2) I'm a junior 4th engineer, not a 3E or a senior 4E, I can still ask the 3EO or S4EO for help and I won't look too silly and 3) I'm going to try my best to be the best engineer possible, assisting in everything and anything... I think it's much worse to have a sh*t engineer who doesn't try than a sh*t engineer who tries his best!

You'll be fine, I can imagine everyone feels it.

Comment

You will both be fine, the other officers onboard will understand that it is your first trip and will expect you to ask lots of questions.
      Go out, do stuff

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X