Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering Navy but my results are bad

The only reason ive put this in the anonymous category is because im ashamed of my A/S level results.
    I'm 17 years old and my GCSEs were decent B in maths, physics and the A in English language then i have 5 more Bs and 1 C in german. But in my A/S i got a D in history and a C in english language but failed maths and physics.

Outside of college i do alot of sport, but haven't completed DOFE or done any charity events but i have had 1 weeks sea experiance on a tall ship and been involved in cadets for a year.. Im only really in college because my dad wants me to be there but all i want to do is join the navy and make my way in the world.

Id like a career as a Deck Officer in the RFA and then failing that the Merchant Navy,

Anyone have any advice on whether i'd stand a chance if i applied for the RFA or the Merchant Navy?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

RFA is the Merchant Navy.

I don't know how strictly the RFA regulate their intake as regards to academic results. I did not complete my A levels, and had poor AS level results but got a cadetship and now, frankly, no one cares what my results where, not least me.

If you see your future in the RFA but don't have the grades for their cadetship, my advice would be to do a cadetship with however will take you, qualify and then reapply to the RFA. Trust me, one guy with an OOW ticket massively out weighs a school leaver with 4 A's at A-level.

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by condeh View Post
      RFA is the Merchant Navy.

I don't know how strictly the RFA regulate their intake as regards to academic results. I did not complete my A levels, and had poor AS level results but got a cadetship and now, frankly, no one cares what my results where, not least me.

If you see your future in the RFA but don't have the grades for their cadetship, my advice would be to do a cadetship with however will take you, qualify and then reapply to the RFA. Trust me, one guy with an OOW ticket massively out weighs a school leaver with 4 A's at A-level.
      Its good to know that, my other concern was that im not eligible for the Foundation degree route, but ive read that the HND can be topped up so it im glad that the OOW is worth more than alevels, so thanks very much!

Comment

Do you want to be an officer in the Royal Navy? If so you'll need to crack on and re-do your A/S Levels. If you want to join as a rating then do that, don't allow yourself to be forced down a path you aren't interested in.

The MN isn't a fall-back option. If you go into it half-hearted then you won't get anywhere.

Comment

Yeah one of my best mates is an officer in the RN, he has a great time but it is really nothing like what I do for a living.

Think you can apply for the HND with just GCSEs? Someone else will be able to clarify.

Comment

Im 100% want a career as an deck officer at sea im just weighing up either the RFA or going through something like Clyde Maritime. So you would suggest redoing my Alevels if i wanted to be an officer?

Comment

You can go onto a HND course on the basis of your GCSE results. The problem you will have is finding a sponsor who will offer you a place - they will want to know what you've been doing since your GCSE's - and when they find out that you tanked your AS levels you may have a problem convincing them that you are up to the academic side of things.
              Having said that, no reason you should not try - you will need to have a killer application and be ready to apply to one and all.
              We can't offer much advice on the RN side of things - we are all commercial MN officers and cadets here (including RFA people)
              Cruise ship Captain with experience on-board Passenger Vessels ranging from 5500-150000 GRT.

Comment

No need to be ashamed of results it's what you do after that matters. Your GCSE's are good, unfortunately for you, you didn't have the benefit of the January exams where I suspect you would have discovered for A levels the step up is much bigger than most expect. You would the have had to put in more effort and had the option of re doing the Jan ones., and most likely had better final As results. You had some fairly hefty A level subjects, so you have to put in quite a lot of time and revision.
                At 17 you are still very young and I suspect your dad is just trying to advise you the best way he can as do most parents with their offspring.
                He is most likely trying to make sure that by doing A levels you have lots of options, should any of your plans not work out.
                As condeh says the RFA a is the merchant navy. Please take a good look at the RFA information on the Royal Navy website it explains it all there, and their academic requirements, perhaps someone else on here will be able to tell you more about what the RFAa looks for when recruiting! there are a few RFA cadets and officers.
                No idea why you think you need charity experience! or DofE but I'm guessing you think that would give you leadership or teamwork skills. I would of expected cadets which ever branch you are in already does that?
                Have a good look at the careers at sea website read the articles on here about the career, look at the sponsors websites and learn as much as you can about what they are looking for, if you feel you are missing things for an application you have loads of time to sort it, retake your AS and also finish your A levels. There is no rush!

If you joined now, you have to realise you still have to put in lots of effort and revise, the only difference is there is no one other than yourself to tell you to do it, are you ready for that?
                Hope that doesn't sound to harsh, I have my parent hat on

Comment

Thanks for the advice Midge and HolyNougat,

I bombed this year partially due to my own lack of motivation for it as it wasnt really where i wanted to be, in college. But I also had an extremely stressful year outside of school, involving social services etc but i dont want to divulge into that here. But that seriously impacted my progress throughout the year, so I need to go back to my college and discuss that with them.

Im glad you brought up that point Midge about willingness to revise, as my A/s levels dont show that even if my GCSEs do, I hadnt thought of that so I think my next steps are going to be to discuss with College my options (resits) but look further into a HND route. My preference would be to apply for a HND route and get sponsored asap, but i would rather retake the year and prove that I am not a risky under taking for a potential sponsor than have my hopes blown out the water now.

Thankyou everyone, this really helpful!

Comment

Well, you could always have a punt at a January intake for a Deck Cadetship - http://www.bibbyshipmanagement.com/s.../#.U_UkO8VdWgY (for example)
                    I would recommend running your CV / personal statement past someone on here - Hatchorder is very helpful and I've reviewed a few to some success....
                    If you want a career at sea, i'm not convinced there is much point in doing A-Levels, unless you want to be accepted onto the FD route. I suppose it gives you options, but I started at 16 and have gone on to get a degree etc. If you don't get accepted for January, you will have to do something constructive between now and the September 2015 intake.
                    Cruise ship Captain with experience on-board Passenger Vessels ranging from 5500-150000 GRT.

Comment

I got 2 Bs and 2Es in my A levels this year. For the Es, I didn't even pass the units from this year, and just managed to scrape through. I completely failed maths last year in my AS, and with hindsight wasted that option, which led to me doing the full history course in one year instead of 2.

While I'm in no way saying this what you should do, it's what I would do in your situation: Drop either maths or physics, keep one on and do the resits inline with your A2 exams next summer, IF you think you have the motivation and effort to actually pull that off, or resit the year entirely, and do both again, and then pick up another course you're interested in to fill the legal time requirement.

Both options will take a lot of effort and self motivation to see them through, however I think the riskier of the two is repeating the year.

Obviously you could take a punt and opt for a HND using your GCSE grades, however (this is the argument that convinced me to stay in college) if you find that a career at sea is not for you, before finishing your cadetship, then you will find it harder to do something else without a set of A levels.

Food for thought - the important thing is to do what you're comfortable with, and not let the college or family push you into something that makes you unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                        Im 100% want a career as an deck officer at sea im just weighing up either the RFA or going through something like Clyde Maritime. So you would suggest redoing my Alevels if i wanted to be an officer?
                        It's not a choice. Apply to anyone and everyone who's offering don't get set on one company. If your given an offer by more than one then you get a choice.
                        Redoing you a levels is an option. Another would be to look at access courses that are offered by some colleges (there is a previous thread on it).

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                          Another would be to look at access courses that are offered by some colleges (there is a previous thread on it).
                          Ah yes - good point.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                            Another would be to look at access courses that are offered by some colleges (there is a previous thread on it).
                            They need to be publicised more really

Comment

Are they any good though? - You are not actually guaranteed a place at the end of it, but I suppose it makes more sense than just doing some generic A-Levels if you 100% intend to join.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X