Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company sponsored PR visa

I'm a registered user here but I'm not sure if this constitutes a sensitive question.

I desperately want to immigrate to Canada one day, probably my second strongest desire after a shipping career. I heard companies that have long sea periods (2-3 months) will fly you to wherever in the world your home may be but would they go so far as to sponsor a Permanent Residency visa to the country you wish to immigrate to if you have worked with them for a while? Does it matter if they have offices but don't operate any shipping there? Lastly would it be a bad idea to bring this up in the (cadetship) interview?

Also what if you end up with a crewing company instead of a shipping company directly?

Urm, they will send you to your registered home residence, they won't sponsor any visa's for you normally (unless they're based there and need you there for something) and I wouldn't bring it up at the Cadet interview....
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
      Urm, they will send you to your registered home residence, they won't sponsor any visa's for you normally (unless they're based there and need you there for something) and I wouldn't bring it up at the Cadet interview....
      ok, that's a tad dissapointing

Is there another way I would be able to realize my desire to live over in Canada when I'm not at sea?

Comment

Work for a Canadian company, or look at other types of residency visa, as I assume you are a Brit there will be ways that don't require company sponsorship.
        Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
        Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
        No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

I am Australian, however close we may be to Canada there does not seem to be any priveliges.

Would there be ways to immigrate not requiring sponsorship?, the only options are family visa (which I can't get) or skilled worker visa. I would attempt applying myself however I have looked up all the laws, Canada does not issue Certificates of recognition, only Canadian CoC's, you must do the exams there to get a Canadian CoC. But they cannot issue you the CoC unless you are a permanent resident first. However Marine engineer is not on the list of occupations that can be used to get a skilled worker visa of you do not have an offer of employment and I highly doubt a Canadian company would hire someone with a foreign CoC who needs visas organised when a Canadian can be hired with less hassle

seems like the chicken or the egg came first problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            Is there another way I would be able to realize my desire to live over in Canada when I'm not at sea?
            As an Australian, you can stay in Canada for six months without a visa. How long do you expect to have between ships?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              As an Australian, you can stay in Canada for six months without a visa. How long do you expect to have between ships?
              Thank you Steve

I am not with an employer at the moment but if successfull it will most likely be 4 weeks on/4weeks off or 4 months on/4 months off.

is there a requirement to how long you must leave for before you can reenter?

Comment

I couldn't find any rules on re-entry for visa-less tourists, but you might want to check with the Canadian authorities.

I can't really see them giving you too much of a hard time. With tourist status you can't be a burden on the state or steal jobs from real Canadians. You may have to be very careful about travel or medical insurance, your tax residency status, etc. On the Australian side as much as the Canadian.

At least there are no restrictions on buying property in Canada, though you might want to check whether you need resident status to rent long term, and you would probably struggle to get a conventional mortgage.

Marry a Canadian.

Comment

Go work on cruise ships and marry and meet/marry a Canadian dancer/cruise staff. :-)

I migrated to Australia recently on the back of my qualifications as the conditions and salaries are some of the best in the world offshore. We did consider Canada on the back of my wife's qualifications, but decided we preferred Australia.

Comment

I don't really want to rely on marrying someone to gain entry but thank for the help guys

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                    x
                    x
                    Working...
                    X