Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifestyle

I'm starting in September 2014 and I'm wondering about some of the lifestyle aspects... Don't get me wrong I'm extremely keen to start the course ect but as I girl I worry. Will it be hard to make/keep friends being away and busy so much? Also with relationships will it be difficult to find one and keep it steady at that??

Another question off topic.. Is if more difficult to get into certain areas of shipping? I want to move abroad out of the UK..

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'm starting in September 2014 and I'm wondering about some of the lifestyle aspects... Don't get me wrong I'm extremely keen to start the course ect but as I girl I worry. Will it be hard to make/keep friends being away and busy so much? Also with relationships will it be difficult to find one and keep it steady at that??
    Yes, keeping in touch with friends and being in a relationship when you are away often will be hard, but it certainly isn't impossible if your friends/family/partner and you both make the effort. As someone once said, "Nothing worth doing is easy".

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Another question off topic.. Is if more difficult to get into certain areas of shipping? I want to move abroad out of the UK..
    Depends where you want to go. Lots of potential jobs in the 'Maritime Clusters' like Singapore.

Comment

When you're away you become friends with people on the ship, some you will keep in contact with after, some you won't. Keeping in touch with people back home is very important, it doesn't need to be constant but it must be there - I use facebook and twitter a lot when we're in port, but when we're at sea I don't have an internet connection, only shipboard email, and now it's all familiar to me I don't have much new to say about what I'm up to either, so emails home happen about once a week, if that . When you get home though you have to make the time to spend with each of the important people in your life. Go see your friends, spend time with your parents, visit people etc etc! Being in a relation ship requires great understanding and trust between you, and takes work to maintain, as Rootsea said "Nothing worth doing is easy"

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Don't just rely on email. Get into the habit of writing a letter now and then - especially to your folks. You'll find that they're treasured and kept safe. Try and get people to write to you too. There's nothing quite as exciting as getting real mail when you reach port.
        io parlo morse

Comment

I can't seem to get myself a steady relationship on land never mind at sea. So I have noooo hope. But, regardless. If your moving away to halls that'll help you prepare a bit. You'll be fine, we're all in the same boat. I'm guessing if you do start finding it too hard missing people then try not to bottle up the emotion.. Talk to people instead, they'll cheer you up.

Good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by endure View Post
            Don't just rely on email. Get into the habit of writing a letter now and then - especially to your folks. You'll find that they're treasured and kept safe. Try and get people to write to you too. There's nothing quite as exciting as getting real mail when you reach port.
            How does snail mail work in regards to being on ship? Do you get the person to send it to the next port your in and then pick it up there?
            Insert profound quote here.

Comment

You usually have an address for you're company where mail can be sent. The company usually then forwards on the mail to the next port (within reason), the ships agent then brings the mail onboard when you're alongside. To be honest I didn't see it happen once in my cadetship as we had wi-fi internet and private sat-phone onboard (rare for a cargo company!), so contact was done via phone and email/facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by SCM View Post
                How does snail mail work in regards to being on ship? Do you get the person to send it to the next port your in and then pick it up there?
                Usually you can pass over to agents and they will forward on for you. When sending stuff to ship, send it on to wherever the crewing folks are and they will send it on to the Ship's next port.

However, only send letters, do not send parcels as they won't be accepted.
                I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

All the ships I sailed on had some form of postbox which was emptied when you got into port. Shoreside folks used to write to head office who forwarded them on to your next port. I suppose it's not as important now with email and the 'net. I've been on a ship where the crew went on strike because the mail wasn't being handled properly.

Your Mum still wants you to write her letters from all those foreign places though!
                  io parlo morse

Comment

Originally posted by endure View Post
                    All the ships I sailed on had some form of postbox which was emptied when you got into port. Shoreside folks used to write to head office who forwarded them on to your next port. I suppose it's not as important now with email and the 'net. I've been on a ship where the crew went on strike because the mail wasn't being handled properly.

Your Mum still wants you to write her letters from all those foreign places though!

It it would be very nice, though even an email is great, or a call, keeps us off the marine tracker surveillance too if it's not a cruise ship.

Comment

Ohh yes, parents WILL track you on AIS, its inescapable!

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Internet savvy parents/partners can also keep you updated on your ETA while you're off watch
                        My last master's wife used to be able to tell him about schedule changes before even he got the phone call or email from the office!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        x
                        Working...
                        X