X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Females on board!

Hi everyone!
    I regularly look on the forum and I would love to start a career at sea!
    I am thinking about starting in January on a HND deck course.
    However, the one think that is stopping me is that I worried that I might be the only girl there. I understand that I will be in situations sometimes where I am the only female, but when at college, will there be other females there?
    Any females on here that could give me advice on what ships would be best, or how to cope at college and when on board, would be much appreciated! Thankyou☺️

Hi,

I'm not female, or a cadet, but from what I've heard companies will try and send lady cadets out together so you wouldn't be the only female on the ship, although it could work out that you are. I think some men can be a little dismissive of your abilities and what jobs you should be doing but I think you just have to insist that there is no problem you doing it. I think the problem of sexism has got smaller and more and more men accept working with women, and rightly so, but that isn't to say its completely gone.

Hope that helps a little.

Comment

There are quite a few women on the forum. Not a cadet myself or a parent of a female one, but I have worked in industries that were male dominated in the dim and distant past!
      You will need to do your job well, be prepared for the why aren't you at home having babies from some. Accept some men just won't like you being in what they consider to be their domain. The majority will be great, don't pull the girlie bit ever when you are working.
      I'm sure the women will be along later with their experiences, but there have been threads on this have search.

Comment

There are more and more women coming to sea all the time, but they are still in the minority.

You are very unlikely to be the only female cadet in your class at college although you may well be the only female on a ship both as a cadet and once qualified.

When I first came to sea it was unusual to find women at sea at all, but it is becoming more and more commonplace now and attitudes to woman at sea are improving all the time.

The more girls who make the decision to come to sea the more attitudes will change and the easier it will be.

If being the only female onboard is a particularly daunting prospect then you should consider cruise ships as there will be lots of other females although maybe not in the same department as you.
        Go out, do stuff

Comment

I'll have to let you know about the sea part but theres atleast 4 female deck cadets that i know of starting with my sponsor (offshore industry) in september. Sure there will be just as many with other companys.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the quick responses!
            Is there likely to be as many female cadets starting in January as there is in September?

Comment

Female FD deck cadet here who started in Feb this year. I'm one of 5 girls in my class but there aren't any females in the HND deck class. There are 2 female HND engineers and 1 on the FD engineering course.

Whilst there are fewer women at sea than men, there are more women in the deck department than the engine side of it. Go for it and don't look back.
              'Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans'

Comment

In general there are less people overall starting in January. But I don't see why the Male/Female ratio would change.

Comment

I had one other girl on my course (back in 2009), since then I've seen more and more girls come into each college phase. I'm the only girl on my ship, which sometimes gets a bit wearing but they're a decent bunch of lads and I don't take anything that's said at smoko or after work with a few beers that seriously. Clanky is stop on in what he says, the more girls who come to sea (and stick at it after qualifying) the better it will be for us all.

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

There was a girl at my interview day and I know of another with my company.

Comment

There are 9 girls in my FD deck intake out of 40ish people. However the September intake behind me had very few. This being said there arent many issues I have come across being a female. If you want to be on a ship with other females then you probably want to try and go for passenger ships. I spent my sea phase being the only female on a container ship of 27 crew. Never had any problems and they treated me as one of the blokes but also looked out for me as a sister. There are always comments like 'you can't climb a ladder because your a girl' or 'are you going to work in the office when you qualify' but I just laughed it off saying don't be silly. I'm not saying everyone's trip is as tolerant as mine but cases are far and few between these days. I knew from talking to other cadets with my company what to expect so I made it clear the minute I got on the ship that I wanted to be treated the same as the male cadets.

Comment

I'm female and on my 2nd phase as a deckie. I'm the only girl in my class, and there is only one girl in the PD class. You shouldn't worry about it. It actually puts you at more of an advantage sometimes. I think you should go for it! I think there are more girls in the september intake, i started in the january intake.

Comment

Hey just thought I let you know on my last contract (cruise ship), at one point there was the Senior OOW, Junior OOW, 2x JEOOW all female and all on the same watch. The other girl was a qualified 2nd Engineer and I was just going through a handover period with her as she was new to ship. We was all joking that she just needed to step up to be the engineering senior and WE would be in charge of the ship completely during that watch, absolutely amazing thought.

The world at sea is definitely becoming more woman friendly and I highly recommend it!

Comment

Just wondering If there are any female engineers on the forum? It would be nice to be able to chat and ask a few questions about the role I hope to go into from the view of another girl.

Comment

Hi EJ, I'm qualified 3rd Eng on cruise ships, the post above you is mine, I just couldn't be bothered to reset my password to log on. What do you want to know?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X