Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Advice, Stuck on What to Do

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need Advice, Stuck on What to Do

    Hey all,

    So here is the situation, i have signed an agreement for an Engine Cadetship with a Ship management company but have no guaranteed job at the end, however, I have already completed all of the paperwork, including medical, visas and the like. Unexpectedly i have now been invited to an interview with a well known company, which has a job at the end of the cadetship.
    The question is, do i go through with the interviews and see what happens, and if i do get an offer, do i go for it even though i have already signed an agreement.
    My first thoughts are to stick with the original company as i have signed the agreement and it would seem unprofessional to pull out now, however the only worry i have about the current is the lack of guaranteed job at the end of the Cadetship.

    Any advice would be most welcome.

    Many Thanks.

  • #2
    Please only post ONCE! Posts in the anonymous forum will not show up until they are approved.
    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

    ? Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Hey all,

      So here is the situation, i have signed an agreement for an Engine Cadetship with a Ship management company but have no guaranteed job at the end, however, I have already completed all of the paperwork, including medical, visas and the like. Unexpectedly i have now been invited to an interview with a well known company, which has a job at the end of the cadetship.
      The question is, do i go through with the interviews and see what happens, and if i do get an offer, do i go for it even though i have already signed an agreement.
      My first thoughts are to stick with the original company as i have signed the agreement and it would seem unprofessional to pull out now, however the only worry i have about the current is the lack of guaranteed job at the end of the Cadetship.

      Any advice would be most welcome.

      Many Thanks.
      The industry has changed so much in the last few years that there is no way to answer that question. Whilst having a guarentee of a job at the end would be nice, circumstances may change and you may find that the job is no longer there (it happened with Maersk 4 years ago). There is also no guarentee of an offer from this company, just an interview, so personally I'd say stick where you are for the now. You may not even pass the cadetship, so I'd worry about getting that done first before worrying about a job....

      (Sorry if the above seems negative, but I'm just being a bit realistic. If you have a firm offer and are ready to go, best just go with that as things will have changed in 3 years)
      I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

      All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

      Comment


      • #4
        Personally I would stay with the company you have accepted with. Like GM said things change...you may find the offer of a job cancelled due to 'unforseen' circumstances, and then your in the same boat as now (no pun intended). You may find at the end of your cadetship with the other company that you don't feel you could work for them and may find it hard to get out. Therefore sticking with the company that gave you the offer gives you the freedom to apply anywhere once qualified. Hope this makes sense

        Danny
        Dont just dream, Go and do it!!

        Comment


        • #5
          I would go to the interview. Put off making a decision until you have two offers. You might not even have to decide at all

          Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Lewis View Post
            I would go to the interview. Put off making a decision until you have two offers. You might not even have to decide at all

            Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
            He's already accepted an offer though...

            Sent via smoke signal
            I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

            All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

            Comment

            Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
            x
            x
            Working...
            X