Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow fever certificate

Hello, I had a question about the yellow fever vaccination. Is the vaccination booklet you hold enough proof of being given a yellow fever vaccination, or is there an additional yellow fever certificate you are supposed to hold?

If there is another certificate besides the vaccination booklet that is needed to gain entry to certain countries, what happens if you do not have it onboard the vessel? Will they give you the vaccination themselves under whatever conditions is the norm there, or would you be kicked off the ship and sent back to wherever you came from?

This doesn't fit into the anonymous category, we would encourage you to register and post your questions, however I will permit it on this occasion;

Normally you receive a greenish/yellowish sheet of paper which is the Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate in the WHO approved format when you are given the vaccine? Were you given this and have subsequently lost it? Some medical places also give you a little booklet that has all your vaccines in it - I'm not sure but I don't believe this is acceptable by some countries - on the basis that a friend was disembarked before we left Europe to go to Brazil as she had left the yellow paper at home (despite it being noted in the separate vaccine booklet she had).

If you do not meet the requirements on arrival, depending upon country you may be sent back (if you arrive on an aircraft). With regards to a ship, I'm not sure if they would issue it, when we did the crossing, we had to provide evidence that all our passengers and crew members had the vaccine before we departed from our last European port. I would assume there is probably some system in place for it to be given by port health on arrival in some countries - but would you want too (Brazil is probably fine, but some of these other countries I would be concerned about).

If you think it may be an issue, ask your company and ensure you have advised them what you actually have (documentation wise) worst case they tell you to go get the vaccine again.
    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

From what I'm aware, they have stopped issuing "certificates", in favour of a little yellow vaccination booklet. If you're unsure, I'm sure that either your doctor, nurse or pharmacist will be able to tell you whether your certificate is just that - a certificate.
      For reference, my "booklet" looks like this :

Pointy bit is the front, blunt bit is the back... Simples!

Will work for money/sea time.

Comment

Sorry for posting this in the wrong area, won't make the same mistake again.

Mrstealth that is exactly the same booklet I have, thank you. I am confused because it says 'international certificate of vaccine' multiple times throughout the booklet and some words on yellow fever in the first page but I have read there is a separate certificate that is needed. I wasn't sure if this booklet rendered said certificate unnecessary? Have you travelled out of europe with this booklet?

I'm not sure but I don't believe this is acceptable by some countries - on the basis that a friend was disembarked before we left Europe to go to Brazil as she had left the yellow paper at home (despite it being noted in the separate vaccine booklet she had).
        This is what concerns me. I can't remember being given a separate certificate and definitely did not recieve a yellow/green paper. May I ask when this happened to your friend? I suppose there could be different versions of this booklet?

I will definitely talk to the clinic tomorrow, I just wanted to come here in the meantime for peace of mind. Worst case I suppose there would be no issues with them re-issuing a certificate if needed?

Comment

Originally posted by Dello91 View Post
          This is what concerns me. I can't remember being given a separate certificate and definitely did not recieve a yellow/green paper. May I ask when this happened to your friend? I suppose there could be different versions of this booklet?

I will definitely talk to the clinic tomorrow, I just wanted to come here in the meantime for peace of mind. Worst case I suppose there would be no issues with them re-issuing a certificate if needed?
          The booklet that MrStealth has shown above is different to the type I was referring too (the booklets we used to get given contained pretty much every vaccination you can get and the clinic filled in the various parts when they gave you something - it was more a personal record of what you had - may even have been specific to the clinic issuing them as the one she had was slightly different to the one I had been given) we were issued a separate "Yellow Fever Certificate" as well as it being recorded in that booklet.

The one that MrStealth has put above looks like they have maybe changed the individual sheet of paper that they used to issue into a booklet format as the individual sheet of paper I have is essentially the same as one of the pages in the booklet shown above. I was vaccinated back in 2005 so it's conceivable the format has changed since then.
          ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
          myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Yeh that's the book I have and never had any problems been to Brazil and no issues. One question why does Mrstealth have a female book ha? Something you ain't telling us ?

Comment

They recently changed the Yellow Fever certiticate. From the single sheet yellow / green to the new booklet. It also records ID nirmally passport number. I have old type for now wife has new type as she got her Yellow Fever a couple of years after me.

Its called progress Alistair
              Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
              Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
              No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanI View Post
                Yeh that's the book I have and never had any problems been to Brazil and no issues. One question why does Mrstealth have a female book ha? Something you ain't telling us ?
                Um, maybe because she's called, Jayne?
                Go out, do stuff

Comment

Just a note to MrStealth, please make sure you fill in the nationality, ID and signature sections, or you may end up costing the ship a hefty fine in some of the less renown countries we are prone to visit!
                  If you can't laugh, you shouldn't have joined!!

Comment

If Mr. Stealth really is a woman I like the sneaky Mr. prefix. I see what you did there

Comment

Although posting your name and DOB ishhardly stealthy.
                      Go out, do stuff

Comment

Google image search - Best invention since sliced bread.

Comment

Well, thats my theory de-bunked

Comment

"No comment".

To the OP (and anyone else), there's several pages in the booklet for detailing your other vaccinations (Hep A, Hep B, tetdipolio etc) - So whatever you do, DON'T LOOSE THE BOOKLET. EVER.

Comment

Originally posted by MrStealth View Post
                              Google image search - Best invention since sliced bread.
                              I think you've just ruined all their dreams :-)

? Mark Twain

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X