Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How old where you when you applied for your Cadetship?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How old where you when you applied for your Cadetship?

Hi there guys,

I am currently wanting to follow a career path into the Merchant , However before i can do this i need to resit English and Maths as did not meet these Grades when i studied for my GCSE's due to being the idiot of a teenage i was..

I am 23 now and have learnt from my mistakes and wish to follow this career path something i have wanted to do for many years but never been able to follow through on because of these grades..

So i am just wondering how old where you when you applied? as i will be 24 by the i have sat these exams and come to applying

Hi, I have approved this thread for now, but please register an account as this is not really a sensitive subject.

mid twenties is fine to apply for a cadetship and resetting your GCSE's will certainly show companies that you are serious.
    Go out, do stuff

Comment

I was 26

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

I was 16... or 17, but sailed with a cadet in his 40's couple of years ago, it was no big deal really.

Comment

I'm 21 but will be 22 when I start in September I've always wanted to do it just never did and set out on another career path through college and now just finishing university to realise this was what I wanted all along any age is good but better if you have more life experience in my opinion so you've grown up a bit more to realise it's not the average course or job in the end good luck!
          H. Jackson Brown Jr. -- Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Comment

I was told of a guy who had managed to get a cadetship at 52 when I went for an interview...

Comment

I was 30!
              Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

I was 16 - but I have worked with cadets in their mid 30's.
                Cruise ship Captain with experience on-board Passenger Vessels ranging from 5500-150000 GRT.

Comment

I'm 30 and have just started as a deck cadet last week. Most of the other guys in my class are around 16 - 20 but don't let that put you off. I was worried about my age when i applied but i do know a couple of other cadets in other colleges that are older then i am.

Comment

Guy in my class was 32 when he started!
                    Twitter: Scotty_2410

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
                    William Arthur Ward

Comment

I was 27 when I started. My company told me they prefer older cadets because they seem to be more motivated and more likely to finish the training.
                      They told me I was gullible and I believed them.

https://twitter.com/ASFrance

Instagram: ASFrance

Comment

I was 21 but the age in my intake ranges from 17 to late 30s. Good luck with your exams!

Comment

I was 34 when I started
                          'Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans'

Comment

I was, supposedly, old enough to know better but young enough to go and actually do it....
                            I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
                              I was, supposedly, old enough to know better but young enough to go and actually do it....
                              So 34 then
                              'Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans'

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X