Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anglo-Eastern

I applied for Anglo Eastern as a cadet and was wondering if I am accepted, what college will I be at or will they allow me to apply to the closet one to me ?

contact them have you had an interview yet? plus they dont let you choose a college they send you were they see fit for example I live in cleveleys right near to fleetwood campus literally like a 5min drive but yet im being sent to warsash in September
    H. Jackson Brown Jr. -- Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Comment

No not been for interview yet and live in Glasgow so minutes from Nautical college so would hate to have to move away when there is a college near me :/

Comment

They like to send you far away from home to make sure you're made of the Right Stuff! Luckily, I live pretty much dead centre, and have family with 20 minutes of 3 of the colleges, so it should hopefully narrow down where I go a bit!

Comment

I'm sorry but have you thought this career through? You would hate to move away? You do know that being at sea is tantamount to moving away dont you? Anglo-Eastern are a deep sea company so you will be away (with no weekends at home etc) at sea for MONTHS at a time and (during cadet phase) leave is normally 1month on 1 week off, so a 4 month trip gets you 4 weeks leave.

The point of being ent away is as above, to get you used to the idea sooner rather than latter. To get you more self sufficient and all that jazz. In a few cases more senior cadets (I mean by age) who have family (kids and wives) may be able to go to a closer college, but that is the exception to prove the rule.

Alsoas previously mentioned YOU dont apply to college, the company / sponsor do that for you and then decide who is going where.

With luck you are serious and have though through this career choice, if not now would be a real good time to have a thorough read of this forum and do some research etc.
          Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
          Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
          No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Yeah I know I could be away from home a lot but the point I was trying to make is that I would hate to have to move when there's a college right next to me (I would if I had to as it is too much of good opportunity to waste) it's like driving to a Tesco 500 miles away when there's one across the road from you.

Comment

If you are coming to sea and dealing with shipping companies. ...please leave your logic and common sense at the door.....thank you
              Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
              Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
              No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

I was promised a place at Warsash and when my letter arrived I was sent to Fleetwood which is closer to home. Fleetwood college is alright but Blackpool generally is a bit of a shock.

Comment

they did that to me I live at cleveleys and was told the interview was for a place at fleetwood and now im off to warsash in September
                  H. Jackson Brown Jr. -- Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefy View Post
                    I'm sorry but have you thought this career through? You would hate to move away? You do know that being at sea is tantamount to moving away dont you? Anglo-Eastern are a deep sea company so you will be away (with no weekends at home etc) at sea for MONTHS at a time and (during cadet phase) leave is normally 1month on 1 week off, so a 4 month trip gets you 4 weeks leave.

The point of being ent away is as above, to get you used to the idea sooner rather than latter. To get you more self sufficient and all that jazz.
                    See this personally annoys me I understand the reasoning behind it but it misses the one big point, at sea for a lot of companies you will get time for time, so your at home for half the year. however during sea phases most cadets only will get a few weeks off, couple this to being away from home and unable to go back at weekends (warsash - Glasgow) then your effectively away for all the year with only a few weeks back to catch up with family and friends.

That level of isolation from your life isn't reflected in what it will be like to be at sea when qualified in fact being at home and going to college for a few months then going to sea away from everyone and then back home to college is far more like what the job is actually like and as long as you can use a washing machine then there isn't a similarity to living by yourself someone still does all the cooking and once qualified most of the cleaning too.
                    you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

I'm with Anglo and asked my training officers, they now only use Fleetwood and Warsash, I live 5 minutes down the road from STC but they sent me to Fleetwood, not too bothered since they pay my lodgings, but I probably won't be able to visit home until Easter.

Comment

Ive got a young boy nearly 2 hopefully they can make an exception for me go to glasgow as if not bacsically gni be away from him for 3yrs having to go to england college

Comment

There will be periods when you can visit home. You'll have to get used to being away from family. The good thing about college is that if you miss home that bad you can visit home on a weekend if you choose to sacrifice studying time for it. But when your at sea, it's obviously not as easy as that...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          x
                          Working...
                          X