Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STCW Security Awareness Course

I know the new STCW 2010 security awareness has come into force.

I am slightly concerned that I am cadet currently on a UK registered ship and don't have it and don't have any onboard training program for it.

I asked my training manager in December as this is when I first heard about it, and he didn't seem to know about it and told me not to worry about it.

Will the sea time I'm currently gaining become invalid if I don't have the STCW.

Any help is much appreciated.

See below.

(Post edited as was looking at the regs for Pilots / holders of SSO Certs)
    Pilotage - It's just a controlled allision

Comment

Erm, Chris. Pretty sure you have to have it before joining any ship after 1st January, not just when you revalidate (happy to be corrected on this if it's wrong)

I filled in a multiple choice quiz thing which has been sent off to the Singapore MPA which will hopefully get me a nice shiny certificate, we shall see.

Not sure if cadets have to have it or not?
      Go out, do stuff

Comment

For cadets it's supposed to be put into the course somewhere, and yes from jan 1st all have to have it
        Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
        Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
        No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          I know the new STCW 2010 security awareness has come into force.

I am slightly concerned that I am cadet currently on a UK registered ship and don't have it and don't have any onboard training program for it.

I asked my training manager in December as this is when I first heard about it, and he didn't seem to know about it and told me not to worry about it.

Will the sea time I'm currently gaining become invalid if I don't have the STCW.

Any help is much appreciated.
          Do you guys have any form of CBT on board because I know VOD and Seagull have small courses for it that should take about an hour or two to complete....
          I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

MIN 472 Applies to this. From what I understand you only need this for vessels over 500gt and engaged on International Voyages ?

Comment

Hi this is OP

There is no form of CBT on board and all the crew have done the course.

I'm just concerned that my seatime won't count, if I wasn't meant to be onboard in the first place.

I did join the vessel before the 1 jan, I don't know if this helps.

Think I will have to try my training manager again, hopefully he is more aware of it now.

Thanks for all the advice and any further advice is much appreciated.

Comment

I humbly apologise, I just have reread the regs! Normally I'm on the ball with the regs but this time not!
                Pilotage - It's just a controlled allision

Comment

the seagull training takes ages, there is a workbook to accompany the cbts.
                  Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
                  x
                  x
                  Working...
                  X