X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age Restrictions

Hi

Just a quick (daft) query about age and becoming a cadet. I'm 24 and have recently applied to almost every company listed on www.careersatsea.org and have a couple of interviews in Jan. However I have a lingering feeling that I'm too old to even join. Quite a few mention school leavers and well, I did leave school, but it was a few years ago! I know that there aren't any restrictions per say but does anyone know if ages vary between cadets?

Thanks

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi

Just a quick (daft) query about age and becoming a cadet. I'm 24 and have recently applied to almost every company listed on www.careersatsea.org and have a couple of interviews in Jan. However I have a lingering feeling that I'm too old to even join. Quite a few mention school leavers and well, I did leave school, but it was a few years ago! I know that there aren't any restrictions per say but does anyone know if ages vary between cadets?

Thanks
    Just to point out your still young at 24 !! We had a couple of guys in our class at 27/28 some around 23-25 then most under 21 but yeh don't worry about your age

Comment

Oldest guy in my class was 30 when he started I was 21 when I started so I wouldn't worry about it

Comment

You've got nothing to worry about. I'm 32 and starting my cadetship next month!
        http://desdons.wordpress.com/

Twitter: @desdons

Comment

34 here and about to start college
          'Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans'

Comment

Just out of curiosity guys..... How will you all feel being the age you are and potentially being trained by 20 year old officers?? Not sure if it'd be an issue or not, just interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Comment

I couldn't give a rats arse who I'm trained by. What I care about is the quality of training not the age of the trainer. Reading between the lines, I'd say it's a problem for you- what's worrying you about it?
              'Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans'

Comment

Not an issue for me. As long as they are respectful then they will earn my respect. I am coming from a background of training and been in the world of learning for the last 10 years so age has no factor for me. I'm actually looking forward to being on the other side of the fence being taught something.

Comment

I'm only 24 and already qualified so its not really an issue for me, I know of someone in my company who got told he had done something wrong and the officer was about 10 years younger and the older cadet wasn't happy about it, so just wondering how you all felt.

Comment

I'd be more grateful for being told I've done something wrong rather than thinking I'm doing something right and not being told.

Comment

I've sailed with a chief mate who was 3 years older and officers of a similar age and as you say, its the knowledge that matters sailed with older guys who weren't so great too

Yea, I work with the sea cadets (although haven't been lately) and love teaching nautical subjects, can defo see me being a lecturer in later life.

Comment

Awesome thanks guys & good luck

Comment

An interesting point about being trained by someone younger and something I had never really considered.

I would hope that qualified officers would treat all cadets with a little respect, regardless of their age and likewise that all cadets, regardless of their age would treat those training them with respect due to their qualifications / knowledge / ability.

I have worked with a few older cadets and, in general, I have found that they have a much more focused attitude to their training, I think that many companies are starting to realise the benefits of having cadets with a little more life experience.
                          Go out, do stuff

Comment

It's a real issue, and may not seem it to people who haven't been to sea, but being on a ship is sometimes like a pressure cooker with the silliest thing setting you off, I had a screaming argument with someone over how good atomic kitten were once on a ship............That's the only reason I asked

I think first trip cadets have this misconception of joining a ship since they changed the cadetship phases so you now do the 6-7 months at college and learn some stuff before going, unlike the old system where you just done STCW Short courses and then you were away, A few of them think they are almost at OOW level and want to join the ship and stand a watch or do the ballasting, or strip the purifiers down and put them back together again single handed, and they then look horrified when they are handed a chipping hammer and a paint brush..... (was guilty of this myself, by the time I joined my second ship I thought I was ready to hold my own watch..... Looking back I didn't understand the colregs or how to work half the bridge equipment, but I was still confident I could stand a watch haha) and I think when people get this false confidence and then someone about 10 years your junior comes in and tells you that your doing things wrong.... You can get a little upset!

I see your point Clanky, but we both know every ship has it's twat..... and as a wise captain once said " if you don't know who the twat on board is..... it's you"

Comment

I'm 21 and have been qualified for 2 years and have trained a few cadets older and younger than me. I had one guy who was older and wouldn't believe anything I said he had the attitude of oh hes young and knows nothing! I've been trained in the same way as someone who was say in their late twenties so there is no difference.

On the whole most of the cadets have been good and keen to learn

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X