Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deck Cadet to ETO?

Basically i've started doing watches as a deck cadet this last couple of weeks and if i am honest I am not enjoying it at all and regretting going to the deck side rather than going to m other interest which is in the ETO department. I am just very aware that if I pursue this i will be doing watches etc for 10 years and to be honest the job isn't much like i thought it would be work wise. IS it difficult to transfer to the ETO Department and stay with the same company? I am coming to the end of phase 2 now, has anyone transferred before that could give advice? Can only post this here because most people i work with or on this site.

Are you able to join the eto/electrician for a week and see what they get upto? On my current ship (product tanker), the cargo side of the deck dept looks much more interesting than the bridge work.

I would stick with your oow training and learn electrics later if youre being offered a job after qualifying, it is somewhat of a lesser ticket and there isnt a great deal to learn just to pass the eto oral.
    Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Basically i've started doing watches as a deck cadet this last couple of weeks and if i am honest I am not enjoying it at all and regretting going to the deck side rather than going to m other interest which is in the ETO department. I am just very aware that if I pursue this i will be doing watches etc for 10 years and to be honest the job isn't much like i thought it would be work wise. IS it difficult to transfer to the ETO Department and stay with the same company? I am coming to the end of phase 2 now, has anyone transferred before that could give advice? Can only post this here because most people i work with or on this site.
      It is a hard choice that only you can make. I was something similar quite a few years ago. I was a deck cadet and switched to training as a sparkie. Met a few others that did the same. The one advantage was that when sea jobs disappeared, a recognised engineering qualification opened lots of other doors e.g. oil/gas sectors, aviation, instructors, assessors, Trinity house and Northern lighthouse board, teaching, lab technician, rail work (look at Network Rail careers), telecomm companies. The skills are much more transferrable than pitching up with a 2nd mates ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        It is a hard choice that only you can make. I was something similar quite a few years ago. I was a deck cadet and switched to training as a sparkie. Met a few others that did the same. The one advantage was that when sea jobs disappeared, a recognised engineering qualification opened lots of other doors e.g. oil/gas sectors, aviation, instructors, assessors, Trinity house and Northern lighthouse board, teaching, lab technician, rail work (look at Network Rail careers), telecomm companies. The skills are much more transferrable than pitching up with a 2nd mates ticket.
        When did you switch? how far into your cadetship were you? was it difficult?

Comment

As has been mentioned above, a lot will depend on how far into the cadetship you are and how desperate your company are for ETO's. If this is your first sea phase and the company need ETO's badly enough then they might consider it, however if they have already invested a significant amount od money into you training and do not particularly need ETO's then unfortunately you probably don't stand much of a chance.

A couple of weeks on watch with someone else is not a long time to decide whether or not a life as a deck officer is for you or not, bear in mind that once qualified you can transfer to other shipping sectors where you are more likely to be either on deck doing cargo work or actually driving the ship rather than just following a red line on auto pilot for 4 hours at a time.
          Go out, do stuff

Comment

[QUOTE When did you switch? how far into your cadetship were you? was it difficult? [/QUOTE]

You are getting some very good advice from Clanky and Chris. A couple of years here or there is immaterial to your ultimate goal. The MN I speak of is from a few decades ago. An entirely different entity from today's industry. The reason I commented was to illustrate the transferability of skills that an ETO would have. Give it a year or two then decide, although the choice has to be yours and yours alone.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
            x
            x
            Working...
            X