X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical history concerns

Hello I am a (hopefully) soon to be cadet from Glasgow
    I have a question before I start applying for next year's September intake...
    On my medical file it says that I have a history of an eating disorder, I have Asperger's syndrome and a diagnosis of depression from when I was 12. This may be a lot for possible recruiters or sponsors to digest and I'm scared I have no chance because of these things. What do you think? And, will they even have access to these medical files? If not, would it be worth mentioning to them in advance anyway?

Whilst it is very easy to spout the law about the fact that employers don't have the right to ask medical questions, or if you don't declare a medical condition which later turns into a problem and can therefore affect your employment, most of that goes out of the window when you talk about being at sea. The thing that determines your career at sea is an ENG1 medical and therefore it might be a good idea to go and have one now - and be up front about everything. The Doctor is the only person who can tell you if you are fit for sea and issue you with an ENG1. Then any interview you have you can tell them as much as they need to know but reassure them with your ENG1.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/mcga07-hom...fitnessfaq.htm

http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/mcga07-hom...-docs-list.htm

Ian
    "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
    "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Agreed with Hatchorder, perhaps go for the ENG1 first.

Comment

Hmm alright... Suppose I could do that.

Doesn't it cost money to get an ENG1 done though? I only ask because my family and I aren't exactly wealthy and I thought that's why your sponsor paid for it before college.

Comment

I believe it is ?80. Now that may be a lot for you, but maybe people could give you an early Christmas present and club together for you? Not just that but some companies do not pay for it anyway. Under 18 and it will only be valid for a year, but once you have it then you can apply knowing that you can have a career at sea. Is it worth ?80 to find out if you can follow your dream?

Good luck.

Ian
          "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
          "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Go for the ENG1 like has been said. Definitely worth the ?80 knowing whether your career is pursuable or not, right? I don't see how any of this should stop you from getting into the industry. In fact, I don't even think your future employer has access to these files. Nobody other than your inspector from the ENG1 can fully assess your case. So assuming that you pass, you're fine as long as the mentioned don't affect you anymore. Refusal to eat and depression is probably not something that is sought after in a workplace. However, the Aspergers should be fine. I've worked alongside many officers who were diagnosed with it or something similiar no problem. I wouldn't mention the other things though.

Best of luck!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
            x
            x
            Working...
            X