Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

seatime problems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • seatime problems

    hi i am with a well know training company at phase 3 right now due to some family problems i only had 2 weeks sea time on phase 2 so i need to do 11 and half months on my next sea phase out of 12 months which i really dont mind doing it but after a meeting with my training officer he basiclly told me that legally they cant put me on a ship for 12 months straight so if i am short few months when i come back for phase 5 he said that i will be on my own to sort my sea time myself and they gonna drop me out as soon as phase 5 finishes so my question is can they actually do that? i thought they legally bind by the contract to provide required sea time but he says that once 150th week is over (time frame which you need to do your cadetship) the sponsoring company doesnt get smart funding anymore so what should i do? i am a nautilis member should contact them? or should just wait and see if i can get enough sea time on phase 4 after all i dont really wanna do something too early and bring unnecessary heat to myself any help and advice will be really helpfull thanks

  • #2
    Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    hi i am with a well know training company at phase 3 right now due to some family problems i only had 2 weeks sea time on phase 2 so i need to do 11 and half months on my next sea phase out of 12 months which i really dont mind doing it but after a meeting with my training officer he basiclly told me that legally they cant put me on a ship for 12 months straight so if i am short few months when i come back for phase 5 he said that i will be on my own to sort my sea time myself and they gonna drop me out as soon as phase 5 finishes so my question is can they actually do that? i thought they legally bind by the contract to provide required sea time but he says that once 150th week is over (time frame which you need to do your cadetship) the sponsoring company doesnt get smart funding anymore so what should i do? i am a nautilis member should contact them? or should just wait and see if i can get enough sea time on phase 4 after all i dont really wanna do something too early and bring unnecessary heat to myself any help and advice will be really helpfull thanks
    It depends on what the wording of your sponsorship agreement and the reasons for not going away to sea the first time. Nautilus probably won't be able to help in this situation, but it is worth having a very good re-read of your sponsorship agreement.
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

    All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

    Comment


    • #3
      I think your sponsoring company may say that they met their obligation as they gave you the sea time and due to your personal circumstances you didn't accept it....... I know that sounds harsh, but when it comes to contracts and law, people get nasty.

      Comment


      • #4
        There is no reason you could not ask to do 2 double headers back to back with a fortnight off in between. Will be a ball ache for you, but it seems a shame to be left finding somewhere to do seatime, if your training officer is willing to help and get your seatime in.

        The only rule I am aware of is not being signed on for more than a year - or has that changed?

        You can but ask.

        Ian
        "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
        "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

        "Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

        Comment


        • #5
          What type of ship are you on? Obviously if it is an offshore company, rules and regulations dictate that you cannot be signed on for more than x amount of days. However I do know of cadets who have done 3 months onboard offshore vessels. As the others have said, have another look at your contract.
          The bird is the word

          Comment


          • #6
            I guess you will be over 18 once you do this next sea phase? No reason you can't do two seas times back to back with 2 weeks leave as hatch order says. I did a 4.5 month stint then two weeks holiday then 5 months stint since leave. It might send you around the twist a bit, but it'll be worth it.

            Going down legal route won't help you, at the end of the day, they have paid for your training in exchange for not much, so you don't have a lot to complain about. I would suggest talking to other sponsors, possible you can explain to them and transfer. If you talk to other sponsoring companies, BY TELEPHONE, not just e-mail, because you need people to be honest with you, they might tell you what your best options are.

            You have talked to your company by TELEPHONE yes? Not just e-mail. Badger them for two 6 months sea phases. Doesn't matter if your back to your college phase a couple of weeks late I imagine.
            ....

            Comment


            • #7
              It shouldn't be a problem if you're offshore. I'm with an offshore company and I'm on my last month of a three month trip, going home for a few days then starting a four monther.

              Comment


              • #8
                Seems incredibly harsh. I know a number of guys who didn't get all thier sea time in within the allocated period and their sponsoring companies just extended their cadetship by a few months so they could get it in.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I suppose it depends if your company employed and the company stand to benefit from you gaining a COC, or if you work for an agency who get paid regardless of what happens to you

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Hatchorder View Post
                    There is no reason you could not ask to do 2 double headers back to back with a fortnight off in between. Will be a ball ache for you, but it seems a shame to be left finding somewhere to do seatime, if your training officer is willing to help and get your seatime in.

                    The only rule I am aware of is not being signed on for more than a year - or has that changed?

                    You can but ask.

                    Ian
                    I guess you know it varies by flag, so will depend on whatever flag the companies vessels are under - for instance Malta has a maximum of 11 months.
                    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

                    ? Mark Twain
                    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by alistairuk View Post
                      I guess you know it varies by flag, so will depend on whatever flag the companies vessels are under - for instance Malta has a maximum of 11 months.
                      For example korean squid jiggers have a minimum allowed sea time of 16 months per trip... or so it seems when we go on board to inspect them.... always strange there 'pet' dogs disapere after a few months...
                      ....

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by alistairuk View Post
                        I guess you know it varies by flag, so will depend on whatever flag the companies vessels are under - for instance Malta has a maximum of 11 months.
                        Under the MLC the maximum contract length is 12 months, but as you say some flags have adopted more stringent standards.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by YoungMariner View Post
                          Under the MLC the maximum contract length is 12 months, but as you say some flags have adopted more stringent standards.
                          Is it not only under the flags that have ratified it currently anyway? As such all those flag states have fairly good standards anyway.

                          Only can think of one British flagged ship with poor accomodtion I know of, possibly too small for MLC...
                          Photo removed - don't want to annoy anyone on second thoughts. :P
                          I would never work on their, all I say is its a detained Korean fishing ship converted to fishery patrol, not the company I work for!
                          ....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Yip and even then doesn't apply to that country for a year after ratification. That being said their isn't much new in the MLC most of it is actaually tieing together older regulations in one place and many states would have already had their own rules.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Not sure if this will help, but at Warsash on the HND route we have been told we can't start phase 5 without all the seatime required as the MCA now require you to have your NOE before sitting your SQA's (final exams ), so you will get backed phased

                              Comment

                              Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X