Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding steam to a motor ticket?

I'm getting sponsored by a company that runs only low speed diesel ships. Can anyone tell me what ways there are, if any, to subsequently get qualified to work on steam ships as well? (without quitting and starting from scratch with a different sponsor, that is) I'm not trying to jump ship, as it were, from motor to steam, just looking at maximising employment opportunities for the future. I'll have done all the lectures and exams for steam, of course, but will have no steamship sea time or tasks in the TRB. Can you add steam to a motor CoC by getting the relevant sea time at a later point, for example? Or can you perhaps work for a dual 2nd's ticket after getting a motor-only CoC?

IIRC, once you've got your CoC you can get the sea time needed for the steam endorsement by getting in the sea time on a steam ship.

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

A pal of mine is just going through this. He has his Motor ticket, to get his steam one he has had to take a Steam IAMI, do some time on a steam ship and will be sitting a Steam Oral exam sometime this year.
      I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

If you can't get steam se time as a cadet then the best route IMHO is to get a motor chiefs, do the steam IAMI route to get a steam OOW ticket and then 6 months sea time on a steam ship to get a steam endorsement to your chiefs certificate.

Bear in mind though that steam ships are feckin' horrible.
        Go out, do stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Clanky View Post
          Bear in mind though that steam ships are feckin' horrible.
          Cleaner than most motor ships though....
          I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
            Cleaner than most motor ships though....
            Not when you are on a diddy little tug that only burns gas oil

My memories of steam ships are of one old ship built in 1961 and one (at that time) ten year old ship, built in 1985, both were pretty awful although, rather unsurprisingly, the 1961 ship was the more horrible of the two. For those old enough to remember (I'm looking at you Hatchorder) they were the Canberra and the Sky Princess.
            Go out, do stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Clanky View Post
              My memories of steam ships are of one old ship built in 1961 and one (at that time) ten year old ship, built in 1985, both were pretty awful although, rather unsurprisingly, the 1961 ship was the more horrible of the two. For those old enough to remember (I'm looking at you Hatchorder) they were the Canberra and the Sky Princess.
              I first saw the Canberra when she came back from the Falklands looking a sorry sight. I then saw her again in Sydney in 1983 or 84. Freshly painted she looked very different. She was tied up just below the Harbour Bridge and we were on the other side. This was when the New Container terminal was being built at Botany Bay as we called there as well. I was on a Bay Boat at the time.

A little known fact - Jimmy Saville was locked in his cabin and kicked off the Canberra in the late 70's for molesting underage girls (daughters of passengers)... The signs were all there - just nobody spoke about it...

Will have to dig the piccies out sometime!

Ian
              "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
              "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

There is a story (possibly aprochryphal) about a 4th engineer who bet someone that he could stop the traffic on Sydney Harbour Bridge, so just as the ship was passing under the bridge, he pulled the air registers on one of the boilers, belching black smoke from the funnels. Traffic was duly stopped and P&O Cruises fined half a million aussie dollars, the 4th won his case of beer and blamed the notoriously dodgy boiler combustion control system.

Everyone onboard knew what had happened, but couldn't prove it so the official report into the incident could only blame the boiler control system, the company then installed a new system at great expense to prevent a re-occurence.

Possibly the most expensive case of beer in the World.
                Go out, do stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Hatchorder View Post
                  Will have to dig the piccies out sometime!
                  Careful now, I think there's laws about that...

Comment

Originally posted by Snecko View Post
                    Careful now, I think there's laws about that...
                    I had to read my post again to get what you said.....

YOU SICK PUPPY!

I meant the photos of the Canberra not bloody Jimmy Saville...

Some people!
                    "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
                    "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                    x
                    x
                    Working...
                    X