Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Videotel

I am at sea in my second phase. I have been told to complete videotel training for all the officers on my ship. I am not saying videotel training isn't worth while but their is little point watching the same video four times then taking the same test four times. To top it off I have now been told to do the engineers training as well. As a deck cadet I find this pretty pointless at east with deck officers training some sense of useful study could at least be hinted at. I imagine the company pays a lot for videotel seems a waste of my time and the companies money for officers on board to have me do theirs for them.

Am I being unreasonable?
    should I do anything about or just get on with it for an easy life?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am at sea in my second phase. I have been told to complete videotel training for all the officers on my ship. I am not saying videotel training isn't worth while but their is little point watching the same video four times then taking the same test four times. To top it off I have now been told to do the engineers training as well. As a deck cadet I find this pretty pointless at east with deck officers training some sense of useful study could at least be hinted at. I imagine the company pays a lot for videotel seems a waste of my time and the companies money for officers on board to have me do theirs for them.

Am I being unreasonable?
    should I do anything about or just get on with it for an easy life?
    The VOD box is there for a reason. You should do your own training only, not someone elses for them otherwise it defeats the purpose of having the damn thing in the first place. I, personally, would refuse or if forced to simply fail their exams for them (we get the records what training is done on the VOD box) but you should definitely not be doing their training.

Also, whilst you may think the engineering modules are a waste of time, trust me, they are not. It gives you a bit of an insight into what the oily lot get up downstairs and that will make you a better officer. It's the same for our lot, I tend to want the cadets to do a few weeks on deck/bridge duties as well to give them an overall view of what actually goes on.
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X