Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CRB Check: Speeding Convictions

I have 9 points on my license for speeding. Will this affect my application to the merchant navy? Does this even show up on the CRB check?

I may be wrong, but I can't think of any companies that require a CRB check.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that only the RFA and Foreland Shipping do criminal records checks and no, speeding points shouldn't be an issue.
      Go out, do stuff

Comment

SC is more about offences like selling state secrets or fitting car bombs. Declare it and you should be fine.

Comment

Cheers lads.

Comment

As has been said I can't see why you would need one, although if you do then it will show up all convictions including spent ones, however they can't refuse you employment if you have a conviction for something that would be unrelated to your line of work,
            you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

I have a CRB as I volunteer on Swansea Museum's Olga and we take out vulnerable groups on trips. I also have many "points that don't make prizes" on my drivers licence, however then don't show up on my CRB. They are more interested in things like stealing cars etc

Comment

As previous comments have said, driving licence points do not show up on a CRB.
                I offered to show my interviewers my stack of Enhanced CRB's, as they were in my 'interview bag', and they weren't interested.
                Basic CRB checks would just be to show your honesty and integrity (most government jobs require one), Enhanced CRB's if you're working with children or vulnerable adults, but as said, not required for non-military navy jobs, and wouldn't show driving points anyway (but would show drink driving and similar driving 'convictions'). so you're fine :-)

Comment

Originally posted by ETwhat? View Post
                  ...it will show up all convictions including spent ones...
                  Not if it's a basic disclosure, which is most likely in a commercial setting (pilots, cabin crew and airside workers are issued ID passes based on a Basic disclosure).
                  sigpic
                  Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

CD your either talking about it from before 2005 when I started having to deal with them or the information your employer gave you was wrong, taken from the Disclosure and Barring Service website.

There are 3 types of check. The employer or organisation running the check should provide the applicant with more information about the level of check required. Criminal record check applicants must be 16 or over.
                    Standard - ?26 Spent and unspent convictions, cautions, reprimands, final warnings About 2 weeks
                    Enhanced - ?44 As above - plus any additional information held locally by police forces that’s reasonably considered relevant to the post applied for About 4 weeks
                    Enhanced with list checks - ?44 As above - plus a check of the appropriate DBS barred lists About 4 weeks
                    you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Disclosure Scotland provide basic disclosures which are used for many commercial vetting applications including, as mentioned, aircrew. I'm also 99% sure I've heard about people requiring basic disclosure for cadetships with some companies.

I'm not going by information from my employer, but from personal experience. I've had both basic disclosures issued by Disclosure Scotland and enhanced by the Criminal Records Bureau (pre-DBS). The basic disclosure is cheap, quick, satisfies the needs of 99% of commercial employers and shows only unspent convictions.
                      sigpic
                      Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                      x
                      x
                      Working...
                      X