Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel

A fantastic perk of a career in the merchant navy, what kind of vessels see more foreign ports than others? I think maybe oil, bulk and reefers. Sensitive because I have an interview soon and this may be mistaken (by employers) to be a wrong reason for joining the mn, albeit a very attractive one

This isn't really a sensitive question....
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

If you want to 'travel the world' then run a mile from big oil / gas / bulkers. Especially containers.
      It has to be passenger ships for travel really...
      Cruise ship Captain with experience on-board Passenger Vessels ranging from 5500-150000 GRT.

Comment

If you want to see the world you either want to be on passenger ships, or be on a contract with a good leave ratio and lots of money and travel on your leave.

Comment

Defiantly not cape size bulkers!! The handy size do get in to some good ports though because they are smaller!

Comment

Even cruise ships don't give you much opportunity to really see a place, a few hours is all you'll ever get, although if you have a regular run for a few weeks you get to see a bit more each time (assuming you're not on duty!). Most ships other than cruise ships don't tend to tie up in places that you'll really want to see, the good bits are generally a taxi ride away at least. The chance to travel in your leave would be a better way to phrase it in your interview, with the chance that you might get ashore in a nice place once in a while when at sea.

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            x
            Working...
            X