X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broadbandylegs
    replied
    I came ashore in 1983 as a 3rd Mate, just as I was about to take Mate's course. Marriage, family etc etc... (And there was a pretty major recession on the go at that time too.)
    Initially, I did take a big hit in terms of salary - I retrained in IT - Software development. After many jobs in ICT I now run a substantial ICT service and I'm well paid for what is interesting and challenging work. I know quite a few of my contemporaries have been successful with their own businesses as well.
    Working at sea gives you a valuable set of transferrable skills that many employers want - maturity, flexibility, ability to 'handle situations' and take responsibility, initiative, perspective, people management, not afraid of hard work! And you'll probably have much better stories for the office nights out! ;-)
    Life's too short to be unhappy. Do some research, take your time and then take the plunge. You won't regret it, but it might take a bit of time!

Leave a comment:

• Hatchorder
    replied
    I came ashore over twenty years ago. As a deckie my qualifications counted for nothing shoreside, nobody needed a desk navigating around an office funnily enough! However my management skills were transferable and so I started my own business. Having owned, sold and run many different companies since then the main skills I needed were the people management skills I learnt in the MN. However, there was still a huge amount of learning I had to do along the way.

Moving shoreside is scary, you never lose the salt in your blood, but if you have the skills they are transferable and you can make a new career of anything. Many people do it and make a success of it, others miss the sea too much and go back. I sailed with a 3/O once who passed his ticket, moved ashore because his girlfriend wanted him to, learned to be a plasterer and hated it for 3 years. Eventually he came back to sea.....

Ian

Leave a comment:

• HolyNougat
    replied
    It opens many doors, I would say.
    Faststream did an interesting survey:
    http://www.faststream.com/perception

Leave a comment:

• YoungMariner
    replied
    I personally know of ex merchant navy officers becoming doctors, police officers, nurse, vicar, airline pilot and lawyer.

Jobs ashore in the industry are numerous, other options include ferries.

Leave a comment:

• bobofinga
    replied
    Seems to be a reoccurring topic with slightly older officers I've worked with (30-40 year olds) that want to settle down and have a family.

In reality though to get anything near the wage you're getting working at sea (tax exempt as well) you need to land a great job and usually have a relevant degree.

Leave a comment:

• chris
    replied
    well if you've got some decent GCSEs or A-Levels there is nothing stopping you training as a chartered accountant when you've had enough of sea.

It might well bore you to death or stress you out to the point of a heart attack though.

http://careers.icaew.com/school-stud...ACA-Fast-Track
    http://www.aatglobal.com/AAT_entry_requirements.htm

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Life after the merch?

Life after the merch?

So I don't want to stay at sea all my life (hence posting anon, don't want it hindering future career options) and was wondering if anyone has made the transition shoreside to a completely different career, away from shipping altogether? Or knows of anyone that has done this? I'm speaking deck side by the way.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X