No announcement yet.

Wages when Qualified

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting salary for CUK 3/Os when I started 7 years ago was just under £28k. This was a flat rate but they have since restructured it so the starting salary is lower (I think mid 20s) but goes up with experience to around £34k by the time you get to top band (will take a couple of years to get to that level Inc getting chief mates). 2nds is £40-48kish. Bearing in mind with all that you get pension, reasonable sick leave, study policy etc as well which a lot of companies won't give you. A lot of people bash it but I've yet to find somewhere else where I can get quite the same conditions, otherwise I would've left years ago.

Comment

• Right thank you very much that's very intresting to know. What is the study policy may I ask? By that I mean what does it include? Thanks ever so much

Comment

• They will pay for all your tickets and give you study leave to complete them including paying your salary when you are doing this. The only thing not covered is accommodation.

They pay for all STCW refreshers and other short courses you may need. They also pay travel and accommodation for these and time on short courses is counted as working days.
        ??????
        Carnival Corp have a massive training complex in Holland you go to annually to do simulator training etc. Its probably the best in the cruise industry.

Comment

• Thank you very much that's all very interesting. Would they also pay for the fd to degree top up?

Comment

• Not sure about that. I suspect not but I've ever asked. There are other routes to get help with paying for that though. I think if you are a nautical Institute member you can apply for assistance through them, although I could be mistaken.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guest View Post
              20k and 26k.. you earn more at McDonald’s.. And no - it’s not only for “6 months work.. 6 months off”.. You’re away from friends and family, living and working in some could say not ideal environments. I honestly don’t know why these wages are being justified, and now with this Covid situation people are going to be settling for such. Demand more people...
              I mean... you'd earn less at McDonalds, even as a manager... and you wouldn't get 6 months off.

Sadly, the attitude you portray is the attitude which has killed the UK seafarer's chance of getting employed. Very few companies offer good wages for inexperienced officers, many companies offer good wages for experienced officers. I'd hazard a guess that in the next 10 years, those who settle for taking a £20k job out of college will earn more than those who are trying for a £30k job out of college.

It is not the industry to demand more in, there is always someone willing to do it for less than what you already have... it's up to you to find the job which suits your aspirations, not up to your employer to change their aspirations to work with yours!

Comment

• Originally posted by agibbs98 View Post

I mean... you'd earn less at McDonalds, even as a manager... and you wouldn't get 6 months off.

Sadly, the attitude you portray is the attitude which has killed the UK seafarer's chance of getting employed. Very few companies offer good wages for inexperienced officers, many companies offer good wages for experienced officers. I'd hazard a guess that in the next 10 years, those who settle for taking a £20k job out of college will earn more than those who are trying for a £30k job out of college.

It is not the industry to demand more in, there is always someone willing to do it for less than what you already have... it's up to you to find the job which suits your aspirations, not up to your employer to change their aspirations to work with yours!
                I'm not the man you're replying to, but I thought I'd share my story.

I qualified several months ago, and I'm still unemployed. None of the cadets who shared my sponsor are employed. The cadet I shared my first vessel with has been out of the job for 6 months and is having to wash dishes full time to sustain himself - he doubts he'll ever get a job as an officer. The conditions we went through were so appalling it often felt like being incarcerated.

Yet despite this - it's out fault that we can't compete with hordes of slave labourers from abroad. I've applied, and applied, and applied again - and the more rejection emails I see the more I resent this industry to its core. I've accepted that my CoC is worthless. The work I put into it, the torment I had to suffer being treated like an animal, the total isolation: all of it was a meaningless waste of my youth.
                The irony is that if any company had offered me a job after qualifying I would have made the best officer in the world. Now? Every day I'm unemployed is a day I forget more and more.

Hey, I should keep in good high though, right? Because mAYbE in 10 YEARS I'll make big money!
                ??nt.

Comment

• Please may I ask who was your sponsor? Sorry to hear your situation....

Comment

• The problem is... newly qualifieds are still getting jobs that aren't their sponsor, a few of the cadets I trained in their phase 2 are just qualifying and both have left our old company and gone straight to superyachts with zero qualified experience.. It makes me wonder what the difference is between their applications and those who can't find anything, something must be glaringly prohibitive to job prospects to be rejected everywhere; that or people don't know what agencies to use.

Even after my cadetship there were people complaining getting a job was impossible due to foreign labour, yet several of us got jobs fairly quickly. I've sailed with plenty of newly qualified British officers up until I stopped seafaring last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Popadopalis View Post
                      Please may I ask who was your sponsor? Sorry to hear your situation....
                      Think big green boxes and bat soup.

Comment

• Originally posted by agibbs98 View Post
                        The problem is... newly qualifieds are still getting jobs that aren't their sponsor, a few of the cadets I trained in their phase 2 are just qualifying and both have left our old company and gone straight to superyachts with zero qualified experience.. It makes me wonder what the difference is between their applications and those who can't find anything, something must be glaringly prohibitive to job prospects to be rejected everywhere; that or people don't know what agencies to use.

Even after my cadetship there were people complaining getting a job was impossible due to foreign labour, yet several of us got jobs fairly quickly. I've sailed with plenty of newly qualified British officers up until I stopped seafaring last year.
                        At this point I'm almost certain it's down to your sponsor. In my final phase I spoke to someone recruiting for the RNR at an open day about joining once I was qualified. He asked who my sponsor was.
                        The second I said the name, he cringed, and told me it'd be difficult. I've had similar - although less candid/open - admissions from various commercial crewing departments now that I'm qualified.

You'd think after prevailing through abysmal conditions - having to practically teach yourself everything - that companies would want to hire you. Or that an experience like that would hold some kind of value; but no.
                        In the amount of time that's passed since I qualified the bloody world has ended and still nobody wants to hire me or my fellow cadets. I'm a certified officer of the British Merchant Navy - I hold an OOW unlimited II/1 CoC, and the most valuable thing I can do for my country is go out into a field and pick vegetables for minimum wage.

I'm pleased for the young British officers you met working onboard; they were smart. They didn't allow themselves to be locked up, pumped and dumped by a globalist multinational entity for tax benefits. Wasting their most valuable years on a worthless qualification.

Comment

• Hello again Guest, Sorry to be dense & just want to leave nothing open to interpretation, as one of my choices I have to make this week is Evergreen as a sponsor, this is who you mean by 'Think big green boxes and bat soup.' ?? Thanks.

Comment

• It almost certainly will be. I was sponsored by them and would not recommend it. I don't have time to write out my experience and opinions on them at the moment but if you do a search I have written about it before. Essentially the training wasn't very good, the food was even worse and the job prospects at the end non existent.

Comment

• Would just like to say that the support and training I received from Carnival UK was excellent. Probably one of the best companies you can go to now, besides the RFA (they pay megabucks for cadets). Carnivals training bursary is £900 plus expenses (fuel and food while traveling to college/ship etc) and they are always available to support the cadets. The training at the corporations centre in Amsterdam is also first class, better facilities than the college I went to. I have never found anyone onboard that wouldn't give me time to explain something as a cadet (including the master and chief) and their is good understanding that you're a cadet and should make the most of your "free time" through excursions and time ashore. I have had some of the best experiences in my life whilst onboard including scuba diving and white water rafting.

The pay when qualified is not bad. They did introduce a system a few years ago where each rank (3O, 2O, 1O) has a pay scale within it which you progress with based on time onboard and completing personal development reviews. Starting pay for a 3O is now around £26k pre-tax for 221 days a year (that includes days traveling and training) but will go upto £35k within the same rank.

Yes you can get paid better elsewhere but considering whilst you're onboard you get a lot of creature comforts (table service dinners, shows etc) and can have family onboard its not all that bad. Especially if you start at 17 and qualify at 20 years old.

Comment

• So how does a BP Cadet with oil and gas endorsements stand compared to ex Evergreen cadets?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X