No announcement yet.

Wages when Qualified

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pignutpilot View Post
    It sucks if you have to work on a UK flagged ship and live in the UK.

Another 10-15% off our salaries through national insurance.

All for David CaMORON,the ConDem coalition or LIEbour to squander.
    Or it could be so that you collate 35 years NI contributions and are elligible for a state pension. Also, would you not feel guilty using the NHS if you hadn't paid a penny for it?
    "Crazy like wild wolves threatened by fire, send them all to the bottom of the sea."

Comment

Originally posted by Ducki52 View Post
      Or it could be so that you collate 35 years NI contributions and are elligible for a state pension. Also, would you not feel guilty using the NHS if you hadn't paid a penny for it?
      And you could pay your 35 yrs and 34 yrs in the goal posts are moved - look at the people who have been done over by the SERPS changes just now. Who knows what pensions will be like in 5yrs let along longer into the future.

Comment

It's always been 35 years NI contributions, that's why people can retire at 55 and still claim their government pension at 65. All that the government has done is abolish mandatory retirement age, and introduce state pension age, from 61 to 68.

And even if you don't qualify for the full state pension, you generally get topped up by pension credit so that you can live off it. And if you know all this stuff at our age, you have no excuse for not planning properly for retirement.
        "Crazy like wild wolves threatened by fire, send them all to the bottom of the sea."

Comment

NHS contibuitons is from income tax. NI is for benifits i.e. pension / disability etc. The reason Income Tax is so high is due to free health care, its a common misconception that NI is for NHS.

Comment

@Ducki - You didnt mention the downgrading of serps.

Im with squareleg on this, due to whats called the demographic time bomb, there wont be a state pension by the time we retire but we will be forced to pay into it anyway to pay for the baby boomers who are just retiring.

Pretty sure that NI and income tax pay for the NHS. Historically it was just NI.
            Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

National Insurance - The hint is in the title; it is Insurance if you ever cant work for whatever reason hence why the different Classes of it i.e. voulantary etc. All NHS funding comes from Income Tax - I have been having to do all this for years so I am right up on my tax rules :-)

Comment

Very true - looked at wikipedia just after I posted. The good people at ICAS will be angry at me if they read this
                Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Originally posted by Ducki52 View Post

IFHP is right. National Insurance doesn't pay for the NHS. Income tax does.

So I take it you won't be claiming SED as you will be feeling too guilty. Or maybe you will claim it but will refuse all treatment on the NHS if you get sick, because the guilt would just be too much to take.

Comment

You can still go to the NHS guilt free as you are legally exempt from Income Tax, you are not dodging it illegally

Comment

• Originally posted by IFHP View Post
                      You can still go to the NHS guilt free as you are legally exempt from Income Tax, you are not dodging it illegally
                      You also pay VAT on most of the things you buy while in the country so its not like you are paying no tax.

Comment

• I stand corrected, NI doesn't pay for the NHS.

And now I know this, it's back to herbs and shamen to rid my body of evil spirits...

edited to add: Interesting that VAT at standard rate is levied on prams and pushchairs, but aircraft (for sale or charter) have VAT levied at the zero rate.

Comment

• Originally posted by gadget123 View Post
                          You also pay VAT on most of the things you buy while in the country so its not like you are paying no tax.
                          Just living in the UK is a tax in itself.

Everything here is just so expensive. No wonder it's called "Rip-off Britian".

Saying that we aren't in as bad yet as the Cyprus with the government thieving people of their savings, and France with their crazy 75% top-end tax rate.

Comment

• Thanks everyone. thats cleared it up!

Comment

• Not to mention everyone would be worse off without us creating the trade that everyone's job is dependant on. Could say our whole job is a contribution to society.

Comment

• Originally posted by pignutpilot View Post
                                It sucks if you have to work on a UK flagged ship and live in the UK.

Another 10-15% off our salaries through national insurance.

All for David CaMORON,the ConDem coalition or LIEbour to squander.
                                Not really remember people choose to work for these companies. So the companies have to compete in other ways, be it more pay before tax, better leave ratios, creating work for people with restricted eng1s or all sorts of other ways, otherwise they would never find anyone willing to work for them.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X