No announcement yet.

Wages when Qualified

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Should I be hugely offended by an offer of £3300pcm for only the months spent on board as 3rd mate? Judging by the salaries quoted here I should be. It's on a tanker.
    No, that's a bit above the standard but is alright. What were you actually expecting?
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Should I be hugely offended by an offer of £3300pcm for only the months spent on board as 3rd mate? Judging by the salaries quoted here I should be. It's on a tanker.
      That's about £30,000 a year (assuming 4 on 2 off and if my mental arithmatic is right). Isn't that pretty good for a 3/O?

Comment

Originally posted by pignutpilot View Post
        The hypersensitive left wing political correctness that blights our country makes me want to vomit at times.
        That's not what is going on here. I am the last person who could be described as a left wing liberal, but the comment you made, in my opinion, was a bit off and was casually racist. What else would you call the assumption that the British are going to teach the other nationalities how to do their job?

A lot of companies and other assorted bodies read this forum and some of them can be hypersensitive, and the last thing we want is trouble for young Chris, hence why it was pointed out to you.
        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Lewis - your maths is a bit off. 4 months on 2 off, would surely be 8 months at sea per year. 8 * £3300 = £26,400

If it was 3 on, 3 off, it would be £19,800 (less than the cruise ship 3rd ETO salary I quoted a few pages back)
          Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

I was guesstimating in my head, couldn't be bothered with a calculator. Wasn't that far out.

Comment

Thanks for your responses guys. It's 3 on, 3 off, hence my horror. £19,800 doesn't seem very much and I heard (although from a source prone to lying) that others have been paid £3760 pcm. I don't want to be ripped off, even if I am grateful to find my first contract!

Comment

Just curious if you are only being paid when you're aboard. When you're not aboard, are you technically unemployed? If so can you claim benefits?

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                  Just curious if you are only being paid when you're aboard. When you're not aboard, are you technically unemployed? If so can you claim benefits?
                  You can technically.... however it will affect your tax status...

£3760 (assuming its tax free) is good for a newly qualified 3rd officer.
                  “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

– Mark Twain
                  myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

If its your first job as OOW, accept whatever you can get. It's often hard to get that first trip in.

Comment

I might as well post up the RFA payscales:

Cadet(X/E): £14,618 to £18,843

3rd Officer(X/E): £29,817 to £39,580

2nd Officer(X/E): £33,092 to £48,515

1st Officer(X/E): £37,548 to £53,873

Chief Officer(E): £40,657 to £59,824

Chief Officer(X): £42,760 to £59,824

Captain(E): £51,199 to £75,855

Captain(X): £54,314 to £81,311

Cadet salaries are actually slightly higher now, maybe by £500.
                      SE (i.e. ETO) salaries are the same or at least similar.
                      There is a range of salary due to increases for higher certificates and annual increments. Apart from cadets and newly qualified 3/Os, no-one is actually on the low end of the scale. The middle to the top end is more indicative of actual salaries.
                      These are basic salary + RFA allowance, but do not include performance related pay or any other bonuses or allowances.
                      You are not guaranteed to avoid income tax.

Comment

I hear that the RFA is losing people again, cutbacks are causing a lot of tension and they are even taking on contract/temp 2nd Officers from agencies... The RFA used to be the best and most secure job in the industry, that everyone wanted.

Comment

From my website, 2012 salary scales.

Cruise Ships

Rotation 4:2 or 3:3

Captains £55,000 – £75,000
                          Chief Engineer £52,000 – £71,000
                          Chief Officer £42,000 – £48,000
                          1st Engineer £36,000 – £49,000
                          2nd Engineer £34,000 – £47,000
                          1st Officer £32,000 - £43,000
                          2nd Officer / 3rd Engineer – £30,000 – £41,000
                          3rd Officer / 4th Engineer – £22,000 – £28,000
                          4th Officer – £20,000 – £25,000
                          Electricians – £20,000 – £49,000
                          IT Officer – £31,000 – £38,000
                          Comms Officer – £24,000 – £29,000
                          Security Officer – £19,000 – £23,000
                          Environmental Officer – £34,000 – £43,000

Superyacht Salaries

Rotation 4:2, 2:1, 3:3 or 2:2

Captain €120,000 - €300,000
                          Chief Officer €84,000 – €110,000
                          2nd Officer - €72,000-€90,000
                          3rd Officer €48,000 – €60,000
                          Bosun €36,000 – €55,000
                          Deckhand €24,000 – €36,000
                          Chief Engineer €96,000 – €120,000
                          2nd Engineer €84,000 – €110,000
                          3rd Engineer €72,000 – €96,000

Comment

Originally posted by YoungMariner View Post
                            1) I hear that the RFA is losing people again, 2) cutbacks are causing a lot of tension 3) and they are even taking on contract/temp 2nd Officers from agencies... 4) The RFA used to be the best and most secure job in the industry, that everyone wanted.
                            1) There was a single round of voluntary departures in 2011/12. No voluntary redundancies (on a technicality) and absolutely no compulsory redundancies. Very, very few junior officers were allowed to take the voluntary release terms, and a relative handful of senior officers.

2) True. There has been no general payrise (other than cadets) since 2010, and that only got through because it was part of a two year deal negotiated in 2008/9. Annual pay increments for seniority have continued. Conditions (e.g. business class travel entitlements) have been trimmed, contrary to contracted terms and conditions. Pension 'contributions' have increased and benefits are likely to decrease from 2015. There was a mass suspension of officers last year (around 10 to 20 individuals) regarding supposed irregularities in claiming expenses during refits and docking periods. Most have been cleared of any wrongdoing, it was mostly a matter of poor interpretation of arcane civil service expenses rules by a particular non-RFA MoD management numpty, but it was a real morale crusher.

3) More likely 3rd Officers, and I heard it rumoured but not confirmed yet. This is because a lot of discontented RFA officers have been resigning and management refuse to improve pay or conditions to retain existing staff. They hope that cadets coming through the system will stay on, and this is why temporary contracts are being offered for qualified officers, with permanent places to be filled by these cadets once qualified. Note that the above salary scales do not apply to temporary contracts as those are paid at a lower rate. In the mid-2000s it was quite common to come across agency officers in the RFA. Agency deck officers are a bit of a nightmare as they can't be much more than supernumary straightforward watchkeepers on their first trip. If you use them to fill complemented billets it pushes a lot more work onto the other deck officers, who are busy enough thank you very much.

4) I'd stay it is still quite secure, and whilst I would absolutely recommend an RFA cadetship, I would probably not recommend the RFA to a newly qualified officer.

Comment

I was thinking that too young mariner, the wages seem standard up to 2O level, and then seem to fall to the bottom of the scale for senior ranks. Cut backs, poor support and poor management are destroying defence in general though, all the best and brightest have left/are leaving/are caught in the pension trap and might as well push out another few years.
                              "Crazy like wild wolves threatened by fire, send them all to the bottom of the sea."

Comment

What sort of trip lengths do the RFA do and how easy is it to transfer to them after doing your cadetship elsewhere? Are you eligible for MOD pensions and any other MOD related benefits?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X