Wages when Qualified

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wages when Qualified

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012...g-jobs-uk-2012

This guide puts ship officers and the likes at 7th best paying job in the UK.

Just wondering what you guys wages are for rank and ship type?

I'll go first

2nd Mate , PSV , £36k with tax claimed back.

I'll play

3rd Mate, FPV, £30k tax free.

Comment

Superyachts - 1st Officer - £96,500 last year

Comment

2nd mate, coastal bulk carrier, €28 p/a after taxes

Comment

Mater, Drillship, £280 kpa tax free

Comment

Stena Line, Second Officer with Master's ticket, £42k tax free.

Comment

Second mate, cruise ship - OOW licence; €3833 p/m (€30,664 p/a tax free on standard rotation)

Comment

3rd mate - 25.5k p/a tax free - Containers

Comment

In case anyone was wondering, i've done some quick tax calcs on the salaries posted here, and I've worked out how much you would have to get paid by a job ashore to get that amount (I only did the ones in GBP):
                  36k on ship = £50,381 ashore
                  30k on ship = £40,395 ashore
                  96.5k on ship = £162,500 ashore
                  280k on ship = £545,000 ashore
                  25.5k on ship = £33,800 ashore

If the master on the drillship was to pay tax on that, he would owe £127,063.36 in tax and NI.
                  Linkedin

Comment

£280 KPA? For a drill ship?

I smell bull****...
                    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

It also raised my eyebrows. Most I have ever seen advertised for a Master was £650 per day, DP2 vessel. Which worked out over 6 months working in the year, is £117k.
                      Linkedin

Comment

Originally posted by tlloyd1983 View Post
                        It also raised my eyebrows. Most I have ever seen advertised for a Master was £650 per day, DP2 vessel. Which worked out over 6 months working in the year, is £117k.
                        We pay approx. £117,000 for an LNG Master based on a 7 month sea service...
                        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I think that around the £120k mark is the top end for a Master, on normal vessels. I think jack up barge Masters can get a bit more, but I am not sure what extra certs/courses you need to become a master on those things.
                          Linkedin

Comment

I've heard that a 3rd ETO on a cruise ship is paid ~£27k based on 3 months on 6 weeks off which is equivalent to £21k if worked as 3 months on 3 months off.
                            Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

I think £21k is less than minimum wage? (OK, sure you aren't working for 6 months off it, but it's the principle)

21,000 / 365 = 57.53 per day.

Typical working day of 11 hours, so...

57.53 / 11 = £5.23 per hour.

Congratulations, there are 16 year olds working in a McDonalds who outearn you But hey, at least you've got the view.
                              Linkedin

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X