This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harshness

I would love to know why some people on this forum get so arsey with others for posting in the wrong section, especially those who are new to the forum. I've noticed it happens quite a lot, not nessasserily just about posting location as well and without naming anyone, tends to be the same members doing it.

People come to this forum for support or for someone to chat with about a specific thing, and many of them are treated with sheer contempt.

I love using this forum as it has offered me some brilliant advice when I was applying for my cadetship and even now that I'm about to end phase 1 and go to sea. But I can't help thinking that some people could just be a bit more tactful and polite. We are after all officers!

Does anyone share my view?

We have this anonymous section for questions that people don't want to ask under their normal profile, there's a very clear notice at the top of it saying so too. Posting questions in the section relevant to the question makes it much easier for people to find things, and if people just post in the anonymous section because they can't be bothered to register or login clutters it up, leaving the relevant threads to get lost.

As a mod, I try to reply politely to questions posted here that should be in another section, and then I close them in an effort to make my point and discourage others from making the same mistake. I apologise sincerely if I have come across as harsh by doing so. However, when you have to say the same thing again and again, I, and my fellow mods and admins do get a bit fed up. As a mod I take my "job" here seriously, i.e. I'm here to keep things tidy, make sure people play nice, and hand out a bop on the nose if people don't.

I know that there have been at least a couple of threads where I was not about to reply to and close an inappropriately placed thread and there have been some rather snarky replies - it was, I must admit, heartening to see members say "this isn't the right place for this thread" but I agree with you that there was some unnecessary snark that came with that message.

Everyone - please, if you feel a thread is in the wrong place, don't reply with snark, simply flag it and we will either close or move it. Or we may judge that it's fine where it is.

Also, please refresh your memories with our forum guidelines, and take note of yellow boxes at the top of pages!

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

I have felt this too, it seems that people can no longer come here for good advice, instead they just get posts commenting about how bad their English is or grammer is or how to live their life and some topics get a load of replies with nothing to do with the original subject maybe one post is actually useful in a two page thread. A lot of these comments are made by old members too who you would of thought would be most knowledgeable.

Comment

In the case I some of the threads, would it not be better to move them to the appropriate section rather than close them?

For example if someone starts a thread in the anonymous forum and it is closed then they might be annoyed by that and not bother to register and repost in the correct section. However if it is moved and gets some useful replies from other members in the correct section then they might be more inclined to register to take further part in the discussion and ask more questions? Just a thought. Can imagine it gets a bit frustrating closing and moving threads on a regular basis though.

Occasionally certain people will post sarky comments but I don't think it's a major issue, I've certainly seen worse on other forums.

Comment

Originally posted by EH75 View Post
          In the case I some of the threads, would it not be better to move them to the appropriate section rather than close them?

For example if someone starts a thread in the anonymous forum and it is closed then they might be annoyed by that and not bother to register and repost in the correct section. However if it is moved and gets some useful replies from other members in the correct section then they might be more inclined to register to take further part in the discussion and ask more questions? Just a thought. Can imagine it gets a bit frustrating closing and moving threads on a regular basis though.

Occasionally certain people will post sarky comments but I don't think it's a major issue, I've certainly seen worse on other forums.
          Unless something is in the anonymous section then it has to be posted by a registered user. I'm not sure but I doubt an anonymous post could be moved as there would be no registered poster.

Comment

My spidey senses tell me that I'm most certain one of the offenders described here....

However, I wouldn't say that I speak or treat anyone here with contempt (with the exception of AlistairUK, but that's just because he's a big girls blouse), but I will admit that sometimes I can be a bit sarky, hence why I come with a site warning.

A lot of the questions that have been asked within the anon forum are usually answered elsewhere. For example, someone posted about an interview with CMT today, now interview stuff with all the major folks have been done to death and is not exactly sensitive stuff as they know (or hope) that you're going to scour the interwebby and they know that we exist. However, I do sometimes just wish they could use the lovely search button...

Besides, S4 bops me on the nose from time to time to keep my in line....
            I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by HarmlessWeasel View Post
              Unless something is in the anonymous section then it has to be posted by a registered user. I'm not sure but I doubt an anonymous post could be moved as there would be no registered poster.
              Yeah I thought that might be an issue. Not sure if it is and if so if there is a way round it? Can someone in the know confirm?

Comment

Yeah I thought that might be an issue. Not sure if it is and if so if there is a way round it? Can someone in the know confirm?
                I could, but then the OP might think I had just deleted it. If people can't be bothered to use the search function in the first place, then I somehow doubt they're going to look elsewhere for a thread they have started!

Size4riggerboots

Comment

Does it not still show up in the original location though but with an arrow and the word moved next to it, then when you click on it you get automatically redirected to the new location? As opposed to disappearing from the anonymous section and appearing wherever else.

I know that's how Vbulletin software works but not sure what software is used on here. Fair point regarding not searching, although if people haven't used forums much before they might not know about the search function. Or they might think that not being registered means they can't use it? I know a lot of places restrict this to registered members only.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                    I have felt this too, it seems that people can no longer come here for good advice,

I think that's a bit harsh! There are many current threads where people are giving and receiving helpful advice.

instead they just get posts commenting about how bad their English is or grammer is or how to live their life and some topics get a load of replies with nothing to do with the original subject maybe one post is actually useful in a two page thread. A lot of these comments are made by old members too who you would of thought would be most knowledgeable.
                    There is a lot to be said for using decent spelling, punctuation and grammar. This isn't reddit or the like, this is a forum for professional and aspiring professional seafarers, at college and on ship, you will be expected to use the english language in a clear and professional manner. It is, don't forget, the international language of the sea. If someone posts something that is appallingly written here, how is anyone to know that they don't write their essays, logbooks and reports in the same way? If someone wants to be a professional, then perhaps they should start off by sounding like one? If people have problems with spelling and grammar I'd suggest getting a browser add on that spellchecks etc. I certainly use one!

As for the deviation of threads, yes, it happens. I know I'm probably as guilty of off topic banter as anyone else. A lot of the time I think threads deviate because the question has come up before and people are bored of answering the same question over and over again. What should we do about it? Delete every off-topic post? (Which will I can almost guarantee will get me accusations of being a miserable cow/nazi/the fun police).

Overall, this is a place for free speech (within the bounds of our forum guidelines), and the range of personality types and opinions you will encounter here are representative of the range of personalities and opinions you will meet on ships and at college. If you (not you personally, poster, I mean everyone here) can't deal with some people disagreeing with you, taking the mickey and telling you a blunt opinion, then you're going to find life at sea a tough lifestyle choice. IMHO.

Size4riggerboots

Comment

Does it not still show up in the original location though but with an arrow and the word moved next to it, then when you click on it you get automatically redirected to the new location? As opposed to disappearing from the anonymous section and appearing wherever else.

I know that's how Vbulletin software works but not sure what software is used on here. Fair point regarding not searching, although if people haven't used forums much before they might not know about the search function. Or they might think that not being registered means they can't use it? I know a lot of places restrict this to registered members only.
                      Quite possibly, OK, I'll try doing that next time. (I'm no Vbulletion expert! This is the first and only modding I've done and the technical side is, I admit a little alien to me, I tend to go with the least complicated option when it comes to these things. Helpful and constructive feedback like this is most welcome )

Size4riggerboots

Comment

The forum software that governs OC.com is vbulletin.

When threads are moved it is up to the admin/mod to decide whether or not to leave a permanent redirect, an expiring redirect or to physically move the thread with no redirect. Personally if I move threads I tend to leave a 1 week expiring redirect.

We do not encourage unhelpful replies to any thread and such replies may be removed. Unfortunately the site team is unable to police all threads all of the time. I've been away for 3 months and my unread post count is quite high, it's the same for many other admins/mods as we are currently serving maritime professionals.

The easiest way to alert the site team to misgivings about someones response is to report the post. Reporting is entirely confidential and the user who's post is reported need not know who reported it. Alternatively, if there are other concerns, please PM one of the administrators and we will be happy to look into the situation for you.

I hope this helps. If there are any further suggestions on how we may improve this service please feel free to voice them as openly as possible.

R

To boldly go.....
                        Forum Administrator
                        OfficerCadet.com

Comment

I understand S4 that it can be annoying when you have to constantly move posts around, however I'm guessing that you volunteered to be an admin and therefore that is part of the "job" that you volunteered for. As a "professional" the admins should be able to deal with what come as part of it. If they can't deal with such a minor inconvenience as this then I sure as hell hope I'm never on a ship with them.

Comment

I understand S4 that it can be annoying when you have to constantly move posts around, however I'm guessing that you volunteered to be an admin and therefore that is part of the "job" that you volunteered for. As a "professional" the admins should be able to deal with what come as part of it. If they can't deal with such a minor inconvenience as this then I sure as hell hope I'm never on a ship with them.
                            Actually they found my blog, and emailed me asking me to come and join the team. I'm a professional seafarer, not a professional IT expert. We all do this for the love of it, because when we were aspiring cadets there was no-where on the internet that you could go and ask a bunch of people questions about careers in the merchant navy. There was "the other place" and I asked questions there, getting precisely sweet FA in the way of responses. I spend a huge amount of my personal time when on leave helping out on this forum, if what I do here isn't up to your personal exacting standards then I'm sorry. I do my best.

Size4riggerboots

Comment

Originally posted by size4riggerboots View Post
                              As for the deviation of threads, yes, it happens. I know I'm probably as guilty of off topic banter as anyone else..
                              So am I, (As I have just been kicked in the arse by some Nazi Cow in another thread! ) However, I am on here for the benefit of others. I do not learn a lot on here and I do this for the benefit of those that ask for my help, and I will devote as much time as some people need from me (as some will testify). If I cannot have a bit of a laugh and enjoy it at times, not at anyone's expense (except Guinnessman and S4R), then I have no reason to be here! I just happen to enjoy what I can do to help people, but if I cannot enjoy and occasionally have a laugh and a joke whilst I am doing it then, adios!

Originally posted by size4riggerboots View Post
                              .... If you (not you personally, poster, I mean everyone here) can't deal with some people disagreeing with you, taking the mickey and telling you a blunt opinion, then you're going to find life at sea a tough lifestyle choice. IMHO.
                              Quite right. This is all a bit mild really compared to what I saw going on at sea, but we have probably all seen a lot worse than this elsewhere.

As to spelling and grammar. S4R is right again. The OP put "We are after all Officers!" - To be honest, seeing some of the gramer, englush, spelink and stoopidite I sometimes wonder if some people are thinking that far ahead!

Guinnessman, you said S4R bops you on the nose... Why have I just seen her round the corner putting grease on a 14" shifter?

Yeah I know - off topic - I'll get my coat!
                              "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
                              "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Working...
                              X