This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking the Law

I recently since coming back found the ship i was on (of a certin arab flag) was brakeing countless laws and international regulations that i didnt realise while onboard and other things which i had a good idea was wrong but wasnt certin. how do you go about getting this reported esspscially as its none uk registerd with no uk crew/officers and dosnt stop in British waters the closest it got was algecires but not quite gib. its sister ship was recently arrested by the US coastguard for similar offences but not as extreme

Have you tried telling your training officer about this. They need to keep being told and eventualy they might realise what a bad/dangerous company it is and stop sending british cadets there.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I recently since coming back found the ship i was on (of a certin arab flag) was brakeing countless laws and international regulations that i didnt realise while onboard and other things which i had a good idea was wrong but wasnt certin. how do you go about getting this reported esspscially as its none uk registerd with no uk crew/officers and dosnt stop in British waters the closest it got was algecires but not quite gib. its sister ship was recently arrested by the US coastguard for similar offences but not as extreme
      Send me a PM and We'll see what went on and what can be done...
      I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Just to check we are talking about the same company.

I'm guessing 4 letter container shipping company owned by a group of Arab states and you were sent there by a 4 letter training agency in southern england??

Apart from as I said earlier there about telling the training company so that they might stop sending brits there I don't think there is much that can be done.

When I sailed with them the paperwork was there saying all the drills had been done, all waste had been dealt with correctly etc. While we all know that it was a load of rubbish and the log books were lies, it will be the word of the cadet against that of the rest of the crew.

Best course of action is to avoid the company.

Comment

Originally posted by Unreg View Post
          Just to check we are talking about the same company.

I'm guessing 4 letter container shipping company owned by a group of Arab states and you were sent there by a 4 letter training agency in southern england??

Apart from as I said earlier there about telling the training company so that they might stop sending brits there I don't think there is much that can be done.

When I sailed with them the paperwork was there saying all the drills had been done, all waste had been dealt with correctly etc. While we all know that it was a load of rubbish and the log books were lies, it will be the word of the cadet against that of the rest of the crew.

Best course of action is to avoid the company.
          Nice guys, very fecking subtle...

Right, complaining at your training officer is pointless as they won't know who to speak to and most likely won't pass it on. However, there are some informal meet-ups where the shore-side folks all have a good old natter.

Send me a PM, lets have a look at what's been going on and we can see where to go from there because you can winge and whine about it on here, which leads no where or we can have a natter about it and perhaps sort something out.

100% confidentiality assured, even on threat of torture (unless I'm tied to a chair and they're playing Bieber songs, then I might crack).
          I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I thought cadets could only be sent on uk registered ships?

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
              Very few cadets will go on a UK registered ship.
              ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
              myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

What have you been drinking?

You might be fortunate to be on UK flag vessel, chances are you won't.

Comment

They are sent on ships whose companies operate out of the UK to comply with tonnage tax requirements of training British cadets. Chances of you getting on a UK flagged vessel are as Alistair said, slim, but there are some companies with UK flagged ships. Lots of offshore, coasters, Foreland, Zodiac, some CMA-CGM, some Evergreen, Rio Tinto, British Marine. Those are the companies I can think of (I am sure there are more) who take UK cadets and have UK flagged vessels. But it still doesn't mean much, you can be UK flagged and have entirely non-UK crew.
                  Linkedin

Comment

Carisbrooke, completely forgot about them...
                    Linkedin

Comment

Originally posted by alistairuk View Post
                      Very few cadets will go on a UK registered ship.

I thought all would be on a UK registered ship. Just that they would be the only person from the uk on it

Comment

Originally posted by tlloyd1983 View Post
                        They are sent on ships whose companies operate out of the UK to comply with tonnage tax requirements of training British cadets...
                        It isn't that the companies operate out of the UK, it is that they have ships registered in the UK. Tonnage tax applies to ships registered in the UK, not companies with offices here. If it's a tonnage tax gig, the cadet's sponsors must have UK registered ships. Doesn't mean the cadet will be sent on them.

The number of cadets a company is required to sponsor is based on the number of officers on its UK registered ships.

Comment

Steve, no, common misconception.

Tonnage tax is a way of paying tax on ships which are “strategically and commercially managed in the UK”, instead of paying corporation tax. There is no requirement for those ships to be UK flagged.

Also the training requirement is 1 trainee per 15 officers on their tonnage tax ships. So if they have 10 ships registered, with 8 officer compliment per ship, they have to train 5 cadets.
                          Linkedin

Comment

I thought all would be on a UK registered ship. Just that they would be the only person from the uk on it
                            You really should do some research then Ask your classmates where the ships they went on were registered!
                            ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                            myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Originally posted by tlloyd1983 View Post
                              Tonnage tax is a way of paying tax on ships which are “strategically and commercially managed in the UK”, instead of paying corporation tax. There is no requirement for those ships to be UK flagged.
                              Correct

Also the training requirement is 1 trainee per 15 officers on their tonnage tax ships. So if they have 10 ships registered, with 8 officer compliment per ship, they have to train 5 cadets.
                              And that's each year they have to commence training (where the calculated officer compliment is the number on Safe Manning Certificate + 50% - not necessarily the number of officer positions onboard a particular vessel)
                              Last edited by alistairuk; 22 February 2013, 04:07 PM.

? Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X