Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boring but necessary question - Company pensions and NI

Hi all, I was just wondering if any of you know which companies (if any) provide a pension that your employer pays into? Do any cruise companies? Also, what happens with National Insurance whilst you're at sea? I'm guessing you don't have to pay it if you're outside the UK more than 6 months? or do you make voluntary contributions?

Cheers

With big UK based cruise company, we have pension available with employer contributions.

National Insurance doesn't work along the same lines as tax in terms of being out of the country. I pay it at source, however if you're paid without any deductions you'll need to arrange voluntary contributions to keep the benefits.
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

RFA pension is the usual civil service scam, but the benefits are set to change from 2015. NI as per CD's post.

Comment

all UK companies also have to provide pensions, being phased in over the next few years, shipping companies (of course) are looking at who, what, where and when.....

If you are paid within the UK you pay NI, there are some work arounds and reductions available if you are "Foreign Flag" in which case you can drop to voluntary contributions and the likes.

Tax is either paid at source and claimed back if you meet the ruels, OR not paid at all and hope you meet the rules ;-)
        Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
        Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
        No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Chevron have a very good pension scheme. Final salary and everything.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          x
          Working...
          X