Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad sleep at sea

just got back from my first trip at sea. Was doing four on eight off which wasn't too bad, but also deck work on top of this. When doing port entry or departure though had to be up regardless of whether it was during your sleeping hours or not. I was doing the 4 to 8 watch and we normally did arrival/departure around midnight for a couple of hours so it meant a pretty poor sleep.
    Is this normal for the merchant navy? If it is I don't think this career is for me. Don't even mention doing 6 on 6 off!

4 on, 8 off is the standard watch pattern on most ships, plus 2 - 3 hours of additional "day work" / non watch keeping stuff. Depending upon vessel type and crew numbers, you may or may not also be required to do stations for arrival / departure or different hours when in port.
    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Yup pretty normal rotation.....ah the joys of UMS
      Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
      Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
      No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Yes I would consider this normal. As a cadet I once worked on a vessel where the watches were 6on/off plus standbys (which were often when loading up in Europe), this is actually illegal but fairly common practice, and I wouldn't it now as an Officer.

Comment

On the plus side, you do get used to it after time, so I would not recommend giving up on a career at sea just for that reason. Also as you get older you tend to need slightly less sleep anyway... also think of it as a motivation for getting promoted!
          Cruise ship Captain with experience on-board Passenger Vessels ranging from 5500-150000 GRT.

Comment

I find I sleep 100 times better at sea than i do at home.
            I suppose being in the routine of 8 on 4 off helps ... also the rocking .. like a baby ha

Comment

I hardly think you can accuse someone who is having trouble sleeping as 'Lazy' - different people need different amounts of sleep and anyone who has worked at sea will have had times where sleeping is difficult or impossible due to bad weather, arrivals or departures, emergencies etc. Dealing with sleep deprivation and functioning is a skill any seafarer will need to learn.
              Cruise ship Captain with experience on-board Passenger Vessels ranging from 5500-150000 GRT.

Comment

Originally posted by AncientMariner View Post
                Yes I would consider this normal. As a cadet I once worked on a vessel where the watches were 6on/off plus standbys (which were often when loading up in Europe), this is actually illegal but fairly common practice, and I wouldn't it now as an Officer.
                That sort of routine is dangerous. I don't know how the companies get away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget123 View Post
                  That sort of routine is dangerous. I don't know how the companies get away with it.
                  +1 Agreed, but no authority seems keen to stop it, despite accident reports about fatigue on a regular basis.

One other thing for the OP is that for me when I started at sea I was a teenager and I seemed to need an awful lot more sleep then I need now. I'm 28 and lucky if I sleep for 6 hours a night, oh how I wish I could sleep like a teenager again.

Comment

Even on UMS ships going to places like buenos aires/tilbury/antwerp the stand-by was the real killer, 12-18 hours trying to find things to do besides drink coffee and smoke fags. Then 4 hours sleep and back down for morning rounds. Great fun.

Comment

Getting a good sleep is not just about stopping feeling tired, the human body is "designed" for a good 8 hours sleep for cell regeneration that doesn't happen when you are awake, it also helps prevent depression and mood etc. So doing 6 on 6 off is actually pretty harmful for your body and mind whether it leaves you feeling tired or not. The people you hear say "I only need 4 hours sleep and I'm ok" must be genetically modified or a freak of nature as it goes against biological needs not wants. That is why 6 on/off should be banned, but commercial pressures from shipping companys and low manning levels mean it won't happen.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                      x
                      x
                      Working...
                      X