Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Dock and TRB

Hi there just wondering if anybody with prior experience of this situation could provide some advice on it.

I am currently in my first sea phase and upon joining my current vessel which I will be on for around 4 months I was informed that we would be going into Dry Dock later this year for 2-3 weeks. Now I know this is probably a great thing to experience as a cadet as you will see many parts of the ships and inner workings that you would not normally get to see. However I am assuming getting tasks in my TRB signed off will be unlikely during this period, I know its only for 2-3 weeks and that I still have plenty of time to get things done but I was just looking for some friendly advice.

Perhaps I am miss-reading the situation and actually I should be considering myself very lucky to have an opportunity to be on a vessel going into dry dock so early in my training...

Deck or engine?

Take a look through your TRB at the lists of tasks like tank inspections which you are likely to be doing in dry dock. Discuss them with your DTSO and see if you can plan to be involved in as many of these things as possible.

Haven't seen a deck TRB recently, but certainly in the engine one there should be plenty going on in dry dock which is relevent, i would have thought the deck one would be similar.
    Go out, do stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Clanky View Post
      Deck or engine?

Take a look through your TRB at the lists of tasks like tank inspections which you are likely to be doing in dry dock. Discuss them with your DTSO and see if you can plan to be involved in as many of these things as possible.

Haven't seen a deck TRB recently, but certainly in the engine one there should be plenty going on in dry dock which is relevent, i would have thought the deck one would be similar.
      I am an Engine Cadet, I wasn't sure what it would be like being in Dry Dock for getting tasks in the TRB signed off.

I imagine my DSTO will have a good idea of which ones we can complete while in Dry dock, was just a bit worried when I first heard about it but I am sure things will work out fine.

Comment

I would agree with Clanky on this one, there are lots of things that you can learn in Dry-Dock which will be relevant to your training. My advice would be to try and get involved in as many things as possible, take lots of pictures and make notes on things to write up later - I would imagine that you will find that it is an invaluable experience.
        Cruise ship Captain with experience on-board Passenger Vessels ranging from 5500-150000 GRT.

Comment

Originally posted by Clanky View Post
          Deck or engine?

If he was our cadet, he'd be in and out of the tanks until he could wander around them with a blindfold on!

Anywho, this is the best learning experience for either side as most things will be in bits and some of the service engineers will be happy to explain how something work if you ask them nicely (I learnt most of my boiler stuff from a Swedish Engineer who worked for Harris Pye). It's a fantastic opportunity, so use it well and don't focus on just the jobs within the TRB. Try and get involved in as much as you can!
          I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I'm just finishing my first sea-phase which included 3 weeks in d/d. Got a lot of stuff signed in the book but tbh not the absolutley loads I was expecting. A lot of the things in the book are more planned maintenance and testing and actually operating machinery etc which you'll tend to do at sea. What was really handy though was the amount of electrical stuff that was going on as we were on shore power there was much more scope to get in about the distro system and the generators, which I found a god-send as I was rarely able to get involved while at sea.

I found as well that it was infintely valuable for just being able to see all the things that you never see. Getting inside boilers and tanks, seeing inside air-coolers and turbochargers; basically ripping apart, cleaning and fixing everything in the engine room. I think I got every one of the "perform maintenance on the following" things signed in the first week. Plus, depending where you are I guess, the time ashore possibilities are amazing!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
            x
            x
            Working...
            X