Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing sponsorship company?

Do any of you know of anyone who has/have any of you switched training companies during your cadetship? How easy was it to find a new company? Mine are in what I shall describe as 'financial trouble' and I'm worried about my training!

If you are with a training provider, e.g.; Viking, Clyde, SSTG do not worry, your contract is with them and they will have safeguards in place to ensure you can complete your cadetship - although it may obviously result in you being placed with a different "sponsor" company.

A similar thing happened to myself (and 5 others) as a final trip cadet - half way through my final trip the company I was with was taken over by another - our training provider had in place safe guards (namely; they already had the full funds for us to complete out cadetships from the original company) and we all completed no problem. 1 of us had to do some sea time on other ships but that was about it.
    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

I'm not with a training company unfortunately. My current (ex) company are in talks with some new companies with regard to taking on the cadets along with the fleet but nothing has been confirmed and I'm due back at college for phase 3 shortly... it's all a bit worrying.

Comment

If you are who with I think you are then the information I have seen seems to be fairly positive.

Drop me a PM if you want.
        Go out, do stuff

Comment

Sit tight for now, if you are with Nautilus it might be worth dropping them a line to voice your concerns (they are pretty useless for most things, but they may be help out) - I have heard of companies transferring cadets to new sponsors if they go bust so I would not worry about it that much at this stage.
          Cruise ship Captain with experience on-board Passenger Vessels ranging from 5500-150000 GRT.

Comment

Hope my reply was of some help and I was correct in my assumption about your sponsoring company. Nautilus would be a good place to start if you are a member. But also keep in close contact with your training provider. Have you seen the letter which was sent out by the MD? It makes specific reference to the companies obligation to find an alternative sponsor for their cadets.
            Go out, do stuff

Comment

I was with northlink ferries till they lost the tender for their route got transfered to calmac. If your with CMT they will find you some where

Comment

Originally posted by Clanky View Post
                Hope my reply was of some help and I was correct in my assumption about your sponsoring company. Nautilus would be a good place to start if you are a member. But also keep in close contact with your training provider. Have you seen the letter which was sent out by the MD? It makes specific reference to the companies obligation to find an alternative sponsor for their cadets.
                Hey Clanky - I didn't get a reply from you! Most of the other cadets in my situ have been sorted out, just me and a couple of others to go, and we're back in college now. It's not great.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                x
                x
                Working...
                X