Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spiking/Accidental consumation of drugs and drugs testing

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just want to say thank you to all those who I respect who have supported me on this. Whilst I have strong views, and voice them, it seems to me I am not a lone voice on this.

As to hair testing. The hair is like the rings on a tree. Each strand of hair contains traces that can determine substance abuse dating back as far as the hair is long. I have seen a custody battle recently where a hair strand test was being demanded to prove long term substance abuse in a mother to take her children away from her. Unfortunately the court could not enforce it and so she refused to have it done. Because her hair was so long it would have provided a record going back over 2 years.

I also believe that there is a big debate, based on hair analysis of Napoleon, that he may have slowly died of arsenic poisoning from either his hair tonic or something to do with the dyes used in the wallpaper in his room in St Helena. Whilst others suggest he was slowly poisoned by the British!

Did you ever wonder why Britney Spears shaved her head? Custody battle!

Ian
    "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
    "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

I havent started college yet and I got drug tested 2 weeks ago as per my signed contract so think about it you smelly drug hippies!

Comment

not...taking...hippy...bait......!

Comment

It happened to me... not nice during and neither were the concequences

Comment

I once knew a guy who took a pill at a music festival, three years later the ship he was on went on fire. Coincidence?!!

That is of course a poke at the old guard who are saying “People who take recreational drugs are bad people and unfit for service in the Merchang Navy’
            That, as numerous others have mentioned, is bollocks.
            I know many good Officers, A/Bs, Engineers, Electricians etc etc. who have or do take (soft?) recreational drugs in their leave. I know many people who speed in their leave, drive without a seatbelt, occasionally drink to excess, potentially even use their mobile phone when driving... any number of small to moderate misdemeanours which could be considered reckless depending on how high your horse is.

None of these people have any character flaw which prevents them from doing their job well. The idea that someone who smokes a joint in the first few days of their leave will be “going through withdrawals on watch” is laughable in its absurdity.

Not to to get into a long and drawn out rant about drugs harm, any study ever done has found alcohol to be right at the top with heroin, crack cocaine etc. In terms of harm to health and harm to society. Drugs such as marijuana, magic mushrooms, ecstasy score a tiny percentage of the harm down by alcohol on both counts.

Now tell me with a straight face that someone who has two glasses of wine with his wife the night he gets home is unfit to stand watch as he could be going through withdrawals when he gets back to work.

Over

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            x
            Working...
            X