This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drug tests- Piracetam

Hello, I wanted to ask a question regarding the drugs tests.

Does anyone know if the test detects nootropics (like Piracetam) and if so, would that be grounds for being kicked from the course?

This is assuming you do not have a prescription for it.

Asking because the laws around it seem really grey in the UK, so I'm not really sure how it would be received in the merchant navy.

If no one knows whether or not it would be acceptable, is there anywhere else I could ask?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

Does anyone know if the test detects nootropics (like Piracetam) and if so, would that be grounds for being kicked from the course?

Asking because the laws around it seem really grey in the UK, so I'm not really sure how it would be received in the merchant navy.

If no one knows whether or not it would be acceptable, is there anywhere else I could ask?
    If its a controlled drug (i.e.: Prescription only in the UK) and you don't have a prescription then I would say - probably.

Although from a quick look at what it's primarily used for - I would of thought most of those conditions would be grounds for failing to get an ENG-1.
    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

I think if theres no prescription, the op has probably not got one for the medical issues.

Theres a good chance it will show up but what shows depends on exactly what they are testing for ( different tests and emzynes show up different things) so its probably a good to say yes.

On the plus side most drugs dont take long to clear the system (although that changes with regular use) so stopping should get you through the first one and then your fine from the word go. does mean that you cant take anything while your a cadet as random tests would casue a problem but if its something you have done in the past you should be ok to get into it. saying that if youve just had a test you may well be in a different boat
      you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

Why exactly are you taking it?
        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Different drugs tests pick up different things, it depends what they are testing for, but I don't think you need to do one unless your company specifies? The ENG1 medical doesn't include one, well at least mine didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulman View Post
            Different drugs tests pick up different things, it depends what they are testing for, but I don't think you need to do one unless your company specifies? The ENG1 medical doesn't include one, well at least mine didn't.
            You'll do one on arrival and then at random intervals afterwards...

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
              You'll do one on arrival and then at random intervals afterwards...
              unless some colleges enforce their own tests my experience has been that D&A tests are compnay issues and as such vary between doing them and none at all. But yeah its not part of the remit of an ENG1.

Theres also the arguement that if they tested you on day one and you failed you still havent broken the contract, as they cant control what you do before you were a cadet, (buts its not an arguement that i would like to try and win with)

Comment

Originally posted by ETwhat? View Post
                Theres also the arguement that if they tested you on day one and you failed you still havent broken the contract, as they cant control what you do before you were a cadet, (buts its not an arguement that i would like to try and win with)
                The army has a similar policy, in that you could be snorting cocaine off a strippers tits as you got off the train to start basic training, but as you hadn't sworn the oath of allegiance or signed your enlistment papers you wouldn't be liable to disciplinary action, although you would have a big black mark next to your name.
                "Crazy like wild wolves threatened by fire, send them all to the bottom of the sea."

Comment

unless some colleges enforce their own tests my experience has been that D&A tests are compnay issues and as such vary between doing them and none at all. But yeah its not part of the remit of an ENG1.

Yeah, you're not going to win that argument, I saw it tried...

Comment

Originally posted by Ducki52 View Post
                    The army has a similar policy, in that you could be snorting cocaine off a strippers tits as you got off the train to start basic training, but as you hadn't sworn the oath of allegiance or signed your enlistment papers you wouldn't be liable to disciplinary action, although you would have a big black mark next to your name.
                    I dated a stripper/dancer for a while that was an interesting time

Comment

I dated a stripper/dancer for a while that was an interesting time
                      We hope you took pictures...

Comment

haha you really dont

Comment

haha you really dont
                          We do! We do!

(Ducki, Hatchorder, Chiefy, anyone second me!)

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
                            We do! We do!

(Ducki, Hatchorder, Chiefy, anyone second me!)
                            ^ Second that man..... What have I just volunteered for?
                            "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
                            "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Just to drag back onto topic for a moment... Stop groaning GuinnessMan.

Having just enlightened myself about this drug, I believe it to be a drug to help boost "brain power" or "thinking" for want of a better term. Is it just me or is the thought of someone having to rely on these things to get through exams, college etc. and then get to sea and suffer from a reboot of the brain because they have missed taking their dose horrific.

I don't think I woult want to know that the junior bus driver or the junior gingerbeer could not cope with being on their own in an increasingly stressful situation if things get a bit hairy on watch and forget the first rule of junior watchkeeping to call the Old Man or The Chief.

Or am I just being a prude?

Ian.
                              "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
                              "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Working...
                              X