X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruise companies and Clyde marine training

Hi there everyone

I am a aspiring engine cadet with clyde who has just received his paperwork for company choices for September 2012, out of change of interest from wanting to work on cargo vessels, i am now highly interested in working on a cruise ship as it perfectly matches my personality and i would like to work on them post-cadetship. Since Carnival and Viking have closed applications/interviews, i have no choice but to choose either RCI, DFDS or Disney as my 3 companies. Do RCI, DFDS or Disney take on engine cadets, and if so, how much of a chance do i have of getting on these ships as from what i have been told it is unlikely!

Cheers

Good luck, let us know how you get on with Zodiac....
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Now now GM, it might not be as bleak as all that.

TBH, I wouldn't rate your chances that high, I'm sure they all take on engine cadets, but they will be able to pick and choose from the selection that CMT offer them. Ask yourself, does your CV and letter of application stand out? Did you cruise the interview or did you wow them? And do you really want to work for Disney??? I mean, have you heard the horn?!

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Originally posted by size4riggerboots View Post
        I mean, have you heard the horn?!
        Hell yeah! Free entry to disney parks - who wouldn't want to!
        ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
        myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Originally posted by alistairuk View Post
          Hell yeah! Free entry to disney parks - who wouldn't want to!
          Do you have to dress up as a Disney Character on the bridge? I mean, imagine trying to look down a set of bino's dressed as Pluto....
          I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
            Do you have to dress up as a Disney Character on the bridge? I mean, imagine trying to look down a set of bino's dressed as Pluto....
            Or put a flash hood on over the big Foxtrot Oscar Black ears. Although taking it one stage further......

Size4riggerboots in Mini Mouses frilly short skirts.......

Now I'm warming to the idea!
            "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
            "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

HA! In my nightmares only!

Imagine trying to run in the big shoes!

Size4riggerboots

Comment

Wow, slightly disheartened now, i think that Clyde should really let you know what sponsors are taking on before you pick your options so you can judge how much of a good chance you have of getting in before making the jump, because being stuck with zodiac or something would be enough to make me drop out...

Comment

It says in Clyde Marine's paper work, that demand for Cruise companies is high. You are only allowed to pick one cruise company. If you pick 3, your form will be sent back to you.

Did you not read this, when you got the pack?

Comment

At the end of the day it doesn't matter who you do your training with, you come out with a ticket that says you can drive any ship. Cruise ships aren't necessarily the best to train on, as you miss out on a lot of cargo work stuff that's really quite important! Don't get fixated on only doing one kind of ship, keep your mind open, and whatever ship type you end up doing your training on, work your backside off and take everything in, it will be useful one day!

Size4riggerboots

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                      Wow, slightly disheartened now, i think that Clyde should really let you know what sponsors are taking on before you pick your options so you can judge how much of a good chance you have of getting in before making the jump, because being stuck with zodiac or something would be enough to make me drop out...
                      I'm intrigued why it would be enough to make you drop out? What do you think you'll be doing on a cruise ship that you won't on other types of ship?

On a side note, most of the recruiters are up front and honest - demand for cadet ships far outweighs availability so they can afford to be honest and picky over who they select; also bare in mind that the sensor companies also get a choice over whether they want you or not - did you actually ask about the chances of getting a cruise line as a sponsor at the interview?
                      ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                      myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

am i the only one who doesn't rate working on a cruise ship

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy View Post
                          Same mate, sailing around the same route every week for a few months would get a bit boring... Although you get more time to see the area..

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy View Post
                            Cruise ships don't interest me either, there are some of us out there! (Possibly few and far between though)

Comment

It would be interesting to have a trip on board a cruiser, but its not something I'm willing to kill for, which doesn't seem to be the case for some aspiring cadets. And for someone to turn down a cadetship because its not with a cruise line is absolutely ridiculous.
                              "Crazy like wild wolves threatened by fire, send them all to the bottom of the sea."

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X