Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you accept a job in a area of the industry you didn't want to work in?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you accept a job in a area of the industry you didn't want to work in?

Currently in my cadetship I am working on a type of ship which I am quite sure I do not want to work on when I qualify. Mainly due to the fact that I find the specific cargo operations mind-numbing, the long sea-passages boring and the 4 months plus away from home too long. However, I do know that I love the navigation and onboard operations side so I am in the right career. I know the company takes on some cadets after the cadetships so this raises a question. If you were offered a job with the company when you finished, even if you knew you wanted to work in a different area of the industry, would you accept it? Or would you turn it down and look to the area of shipping you wanted to work in as a newly qualified 3rd mate?

Take the job. Even only for one trip so you can get a stamp in your book. I would imagine it would be much easier to get a job once you have experience as a qualified officer than trying to get a job without any.

Comment

Yes - quite agree, finding work in new sectors without experience is very difficult at the best of times.
      I have recruited people previously so I know how tough the competition can be for places, especially in junior ranks - once you move up the pecking order it does get much easier which is good news.
      Very few new jobs start tomorrow, start looking right away for positions in the area that you are interested in and if something comes up then great, if not then at least you have something to fall back on!
      BTW - which sector to you wan to work in?
      Cruise ship Captain with experience on-board Passenger Vessels ranging from 5500-150000 GRT.

Comment

What company is it? Zodiac by any chance?

Take the job if it's offered... even just for a couple off contracts... Know very many newly qualified OOW's who can't find jobs and get their foot on the ladder... best to take whatever you can get just now... the good jobs will come later after a bit of experience.

Comment

You need at least one trip in your discharge book as OOW, and then you'll find it much easier to move on.

Comment

As everyone above has said, stick with it for at least one trip, get the all important first stamp in your book and then look around for something else if you feel that it's not for you.
            Go out, do stuff

Comment

What i did when i qualified was send my CV off to every company that operated so much as a soap dish even though i wanted to stay with my company. Glad i did it turned out my company didnt want me at the time and i landed a better job anyway.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies so far. Its not the particular company as they are a good company to work for in terms of facilities etc, and its not Zodiac as a poster had asked. Its just the sector which is deep sea cargo, I think I'd be more suited to research ships or something along those lines. Something where operations aside from navigation are more stimulating to the mind, any other areas of shipping where this is the case please by my guest to suggest!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
                x
                x
                Working...
                X