Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice, change of sea phases

I am with a big sponsoring company, deck side. Me and my fellow cadets were told that our sea time had been cut short this phase to avoid the governmencut backs which means to have enough sea time (12 months overall) next sea phase we'll have to spend over 6 months on one ship. We wern't made aware changes had been made to our sea phase until we were sent on our 2nd sea trip of the phase, and that was just by hearing a passing comment. If we had been told via email/phone/letter during out first sea trip we could of stayed on the ship longer to make up additional time. In addition, someone has asked about the cut sea phase months being added onto our next sea phase, which the company said they cannot/will not do.

Which means all of our class is looking at spending at least 6 months aboard a ship, some maybe 7 through no fault of our own. Just looking for some advice on what to do.

Thanks,
    Jack

As i'm sure your aware you require the minimum amount of sea time in order to sit your Orals examination, your employer / sponsoring company's sole obligation is to give you that sea time - if that means having to do 1 long trip then unfortunately thats bad luck; The company will be limited in what they can do as your sea phases need to fit in with the college semesters. Other than enquiring with your training manager there isn't much you can do.

On a side note, your not the first lot to do 6 (or more) months on ship in one go and won't be the last.
    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Suck it up, stop whining, get used to things changing at the last minute without consulting you and do what you're bloody being paid to do?

Some crews will work 9 - 18 months....
      I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Yes as cadets companies have more lee-way in being able to change things around but as we are meant to be under professional training the companies should act in a professional manner. To the orginal poster, as you say you didn't hear about this change of sea-phase via phone/email or letter and found out during your current sea phase bring it up with your college if your company seems unwilling to do anything.

Admin Note:
        Edited content, thread altered to remove off topic posts.
        Last edited by Randomist; 26 April 2012, 03:00 PM. Reason: Content adjustment

Comment

You can either whinge and moan and have a choice between either doing the sea time when your company tell you that you are doing it and the other option of not doing the sea time, or you can make the same choice without whinging and moaning.

All the stuff that the kids in the playground used to tell you about having rights and about the grown ups not being able to treat you that way doesn't really apply now that you are being paid.
          Go out, do stuff

Comment

I'd just like to make something clear, if we were aware one sea-trip would be 6 months long from the start it wouldn't be a problem. The issue is at the very last minute our sea-phase has been cut short by a number of months from the allocated time that sea-phases usually occupy, meaning we get 3-4 months less sea-phase time than other phases to achieve the same amount of time (12 months onboard) required to sit orals.

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              I'd just like to make something clear, if we were aware one sea-trip would be 6 months long from the start it wouldn't be a problem. The issue is at the very last minute our sea-phase has been cut short by a number of months from the allocated time that sea-phases usually occupy, meaning we get 3-4 months less sea-phase time than other phases to achieve the same amount of time (12 months onboard) required to sit orals.

Jack
              That is what the industry is like. You do not sign a contract for your sea-phase saying you are on or X months like with other nationalities so you can be put on a ship and taken off a ship at will. When we've needed cabins for surveyors and if we don't have enough then the first person to go are usually the cadets. Either way, you're being paid regardless stop moaning.

To the anon that says shipping companies should act in a professional manner. Simple answer is, they do. The sponsor would have told the agency, it's standard practice, whether the agency tells you or not is another matter. Don't go around labelling companies and Crew Managers (most having been seafarers before hand) as unprofessional without knowing the full facts.
              I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

This industries 'suck it up and get on with it' attitude is outdated and needs punted along with the 'you earn respect' nonsense.

You should have respect from the start; You earn Trust.

Chris

Originally posted by Clanky View Post
                You can either whinge and moan and have a choice between either doing the sea time when your company tell you that you are doing it and the other option of not doing the sea time, or you can make the same choice without whinging and moaning.

All the stuff that the kids in the playground used to tell you about having rights and about the grown ups not being able to treat you that way doesn't really apply now that you are being paid.
                Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
                Suck it up, stop whining, get used to things changing at the last minute without consulting you and do what you're bloody being paid to do?

Some crews will work 9 - 18 months....
                Last edited by Randomist; 11 May 2012, 12:29 PM. Reason: Removed material irrelevant to discussion

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                x
                x
                Working...
                X