Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay?

I'm rather hoping some of you chaps will be able to assist me in respect of pay across the industry/ranks. I've been looking online at various officer recruitment websites which all seem to be rather illusive when it comes to how much qualified officers are paid. Im not looking for anything too specific just a ballpark figure for each rank???

To be not much help...it really does all depend on who you work for and what they do.

Often it's as much the package as the $$$$ that count, like is 1:1 worth more to you than Huge$$$ and 3:1, career progression, business class travel, heath insurance, bonus scheme, pensions etc

Which is why often the agencies are a bit cagey about wages.

Sorry to be of no help at all
    Last edited by Chiefy; 8 April 2012, 10:08 AM.
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

faststream usually has salaries

Some ETO salaries, mostly day rates taken from the faststream website, my comments in brackets

ETO, PSV, West Africa $400/day 8 weeks on/off (so working 183 days per year and assuming you get paid for all of them, $73,200 a year, = 46,084 per year and 6 months unpaid holiday)

ETO, Research vessel, Gulf of Mexico, ?200/day 2 month contract (so ?12,000 for 2 months work assuming you work 2 30 day months)

Experienced ETO, superyacht, $6000/month 5 months on 1 month off (so $60,000 per year working 10 months a year = ?37,773 per year 2 months unpaid holiday)

1st ETO, cruise ship, €5,279/month while at sea (so leave must be unpaid), 3 months on 2 months off (so in in a 12 month period 8 months work and 4 months holiday, €42,232 and 4 months unpaid holiday = ?34,814 per year, 4 months unpaid holiday)

[so moneywise and leavewise, working offshore from west africa looks the best option to me, although there are a lot of risks and as people have said before, you might not always get paid the high daily rate.

At ?250/day, thats a financial services salary with 6 months holiday.]
      Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

My company, on a deep sea tanker.

Master - 10440 USD
        C/O - 8500 USD
        2/O - 3900 USD
        3/O - 3500 USD

Comment

Originally posted by Polaris View Post

Master - 10440 USD
          C/O - 8500 USD
          2/O - 3900 USD
          3/O - 3500 USD
          Is that monthly salary? What leave ratio?

As chiefy said a lot of these things will depend on what type of ship you are serving on, how much leave you get per year and a few other factors.

As a VERY rough guide:

3rd officer / 4th eng - ?20 to 27k per annum

2nd officer / 3rd engineer - ?27 to 35k

chief officer / 2nd engineer ?35 to 45k

master / chief eng ?50k +

As I said that is a very rough guide your mileage may vary.
          Go out, do stuff

Comment

Whatever the pay is, tax free and no-less-than 4 months off a year still makes it a bloody attractive package. To earn ?20k PA and be taxed would leave you with about ?14k-?16k
            "Crazy like wild wolves threatened by fire, send them all to the bottom of the sea."

Comment

Originally posted by Polaris View Post

Master - 10440 USD
              C/O - 8500 USD
              2/O - 3900 USD
              3/O - 3500 USD
              Thats rather low for a tanker. What type you on?
              I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Carnival uk very rough guide for working 3 on 1.5 off

Third: 24000
                second: 32000
                first: 35000
                safety: 42000
                dc 51000
                captain 60000+

My current company survey / expedition

second: 40000
                chief off: 58000
                master:70000

All of the above in ? and remember you don't pay tax so you can add on about 25% - 35% at least to compare to a shore based job.
                Cruise ship Captain with experience on-board Passenger Vessels ranging from 5500-150000 GRT.

Comment

• Northern Marine Management pay the following yearly salaries on their LNG carriers:

?30k - Third mate

?42k - Second mate

?62k - Chief Mate

?88k - Captain

Because its deep sea you get your tax back on all money paid.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                  x
                  x
                  Working...
                  X