Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend sponsors from Clyde marine training

Given we get some element of choice with our sponsor companies can anyone give a low down on the companies from http://www.clydemarinetraining.com/content/sponsorslist ?

I realise you get a brief summary but most don't tell you there main opposing countries like from where to where. I think it's container ships or oil or lpg/lng tankers I'd like to go on but I'd also like to see some interesting parts of the works so just wondering if anyone off top there head could tell me rough transit locations of some the companies for example london ship managers looks interesting !

Harrisons 2002 Ltd are pretty good. You'll never meet them but you will end up sailing with one of the largest Ship Management companies in the world...(Harrisons 2002Ltd is an Owner, not Manager)
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

for tankers and such Northern Marine Management are pretty reasonable, What i would add is that if you go with a management company who have a diverse range of ships then yes you will get time on tankers that you want and hopefully enough for the endorsements you will not be limited to the one ship type and as such you should get a wider range of expereince, which should also allow you to see if the grass is greener etc.
      you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

have you been asked to pick your 3 sponsors already im still sitting on a conditional offer to start in september for the HND engineering course, ciar.

Comment

From what i've seen and been told by my friends who were cadets, your choice's don't really matter. You'll all end up with almost the same company, a lot of my friends picked different choices but all ended up with Zodiac, then a phase below me were all shoved with CalMac.
          my only wish is that i die real.

Comment

Originally posted by utpdm View Post
            From what i've seen and been told by my friends who were cadets, your choice's don't really matter. You'll all end up with almost the same company, a lot of my friends picked different choices but all ended up with Zodiac, then a phase below me were all shoved with CalMac.
            To be fair, and from what I can gather, most of the best Clyde clients will ask for a second interview, then select who they want from that process. I imagine I'm a good candidate for Zodiac by virtue of the companies I intend to select if I get the chance (none of which are Zodiac, but all have fleets comparable to Zodiacs, only, you know... reputable). You really can't complain, the vast majority of Clyde's clients presumably take on very few cadets, if your education isn't top notch, or you don't impress in a face to face interview you won't get who you want. It's basic logistics. That doesn't mean you shouldn't put some thought into your selections.

As for me, I'd be happy to train with anyone right now, I've heard good and I've heard bad about Zodiac, but really it's what you make of it... assuming you don't spend five months at a Somalian pirates gunpoint that is :O.

Comment

Which companies generally ask for a second interview?

Comment

Originally posted by ramfeild66 View Post
                As for me, I'd be happy to train with anyone right now, I've heard good and I've heard bad about Zodiac, but really it's what you make of it... assuming you don't spend five months at a Somalian pirates gunpoint that is :O.
                Not much of a concern considering that you'll probably only go on Container Ships (boring!), which tend to have higher freeboards and move faster than most other ships. Also, You'll have a bunch of PVI armed guards on board so I highly doubt that Piracy would be a problem...

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
                  Not much of a concern considering that you'll probably only go on Container Ships (boring!), which tend to have higher freeboards and move faster than most other ships. Also, You'll have a bunch of PVI armed guards on board so I highly doubt that Piracy would be a problem...
                  Well the reason I mention that is that Zodiac has had a bit of a habit of having their ships taken for ransom:

http://www.france24.com/en/20100102-...ed-off-somalia

http://www.tradewindsnews.com/andals...e=printArticle

Of course, the size of their fleet doesn't help. I actually mentioned these in the interview when she kept bringing Zodiac up and I was asked to outline potential threats.

Comment

Well the reason I mention that is that Zodiac has had a bit of a habit of having their ships taken for ransom:

http://www.france24.com/en/20100102-...ed-off-somalia

http://www.tradewindsnews.com/andals...e=printArticle

Of course, the size of their fleet doesn't help. I actually mentioned these in the interview when she kept bringing Zodiac up and I was asked to outline potential threats.
                    I remember those two. I was in the same area as the two of them at the time. We actually could hear the radio calls from St. James Park as she was being hijacked (wasn't that far ahead of us and had passed us earlier on in the day). Not pleasant listening by any stretch of the imagination....

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
                      I remember those two. I was in the same area as the two of them at the time. We actually could hear the radio calls from St. James Park as she was being hijacked (wasn't that far ahead of us and had passed us earlier on in the day). Not pleasant listening by any stretch of the imagination....
                      I can imagine, thankfully they were all released without harm but were effectively held captive for almost five months which I can only imagine being incredibly harrowing.

Comment

I can imagine, thankfully they were all released without harm but were effectively held captive for almost five months which I can only imagine being incredibly harrowing.
                        Depends on the group. I've just done my "Crisis Management/Negotiation - Piracy" training and the crew are generally unharmed as it is bad for business to go hurting them. Companies normally tell the pirates right from the off "hurt the crew and we stop talking" and it does work. Good thing though, there's only about a dozen pirate negotiators and they're all known and psychologically profiled so that we know what buttons to push with each one to ensure that the crew are treated ok. Regardless of what many believe (primarily older and more disgruntled ones with more chips than Harry Ramsdens on their shoulders) majority of the companies take crew welfare quite seriously. Priorities for us are "Crew then Ship then Cargo". Apparently, the stories that have been coming out lately about them hacking off limbs are not quite that true...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
                        x
                        x
                        Working...
                        X