Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Struggling!

I'm finding college is a struggle with maths and physics. I'm in the FD class, but does anybody ever drop down to the HN class? I'm scared to ask my company in case they stop my cadetship.

Note from CD: Edited slightly to make a bit more readable.
    Last edited by CharlieDelta; 18 January 2012, 06:16 PM.

Hi, I was told by a recruitment officer that the only reason sponsors prefer cadets to be on the FD is because it’s shorter (and therefore ever so slightly cheaper). Your sponsor has already invested a lot in you and they probably won’t want to get rid of you anymore than you want to leave; get in touch with them and explain the situation.

For what its worth I’m starting the FD at Fleetwood in a couple of weeks and I have no A level maths or physics, and I can tell you, if I struggle with the FD I will be on the phone to SSTG requesting a move to the HND!

Good luck and do let us know how you go on.

Comment

For what its worth, a bit of tutoring may be a sound investment either from your college or if a few of you are struggling, each chip in a couple of quid for a private tutor between you for a few hours to get you upto scratch. I'm only suggesting that because you will save yourself from going back to college in future if you wish to progress. FD provides Mates ticket exemptions so all you need is sea time, HND does not so you would have to go back to college for a good few months before you could take your mates ticket.

When it comes to Maths and Physics, take it from me as someone who initially struggled with Maths and Physics A-Level but done fairly well in the end, its like a "snowball effect" the initial beginning of understanding anything is the hardest as you are unfamiliar. Maths was initially a struggle as it was very theory-laden with little real world context I thought, physics has very useful real world applications, the trick with it is understanding the simple bits first.

One way is to read your notes but re-write them in your own way so that you understand them. This will help you to no-end. Create and draw diagrams yourself to simplify complex text into easy pictures. Watch youtube videos.

The main area of physics involved in the course is mechanics (movement of objects) and thermodynamics (heat pressure etc.) so watch a few videos. Its all very simple if you can reason it yourself, college curriculums never tell you the leymans answers but once you figure out the simplicity of whats going on yourself you'll have cracked it!

Comment

Ask your advisor of studies/head lecturer if there is any extra help available and explain exactly what you are having difficulty with; it's not in their interest to have cadets dropping out/failing and they will be best placed to offer help or direct you to other sources of assistance. Unsurprisingly they will have dealt with this problem before!

Have you made any good friends on the course? Perhaps they are having problems too, not necessarily with the same stuff. Ask them if they will help you work at the problem areas; group study can be very effective for digesting something you haven't quite grasped in a lecture, and the notes perhaps aren't as clear as they might be.
        '... English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't
        just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages
        down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for
        new vocabulary.' - James Davis Nicoll

Comment

Originally posted by danielbv07 View Post
          Hi, I was told by a recruitment officer that the only reason sponsors prefer cadets to be on the FD is because it’s shorter (and therefore ever so slightly cheaper). Your sponsor has already invested a lot in you and they probably won’t want to get rid of you anymore than you want to leave; get in touch with them and explain the situation.
          It's not cheaper or shorter (I know, I had to investigate it for some cadets in my previous company)...

To the OP, you can drop down to HNC/D, but first try and get as much help in college as you can before you drop down.
          I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by EFC92 View Post
            FD provides Mates ticket exemptions so all you need is sea time, HND does not so you would have to go back to college for a good few months before you could take your mates ticket.
            Not entirely correct.

FD provides exemptions from Chief Mate SQA exams. For this reason, post-HND the Chief Mate course is slightly (by a few weeks, not months) longer to accomodate SQA preparation. All the theory is covered during the cadetship. It's only post-HNC where the 9 month Mates course is needed.
            sigpic
            Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
              It's not cheaper or shorter (I know, I had to investigate it for some cadets in my previous company)...
              I was told by SSTG in my interview that the FD route was some three months shorter than the HND route and as a result was cheaper. The former seems to be backed up by the sample training schedule here.

Comment

The Warsash HND course is a few months longer than the FD for deck cadets, though both go for orals at about the same time.
                sigpic
                Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Comment

just to back up the original, ask the college if they have remedial classes, ie extra classes usually at night that cover the subjects you are having trouble with, might not be called remedial classes any more since the world went PC.

It is worth the time and effort or do what I did, get a brain GF who had A level maths and physics and get home schooling
                  Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                  Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                  No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieDelta View Post
                    Not entirely correct.

FD provides exemptions from Chief Mate SQA exams. For this reason, post-HND the Chief Mate course is slightly (by a few weeks, not months) longer to accomodate SQA preparation. All the theory is covered during the cadetship. It's only post-HNC where the 9 month Mates course is needed.
                    Actually... that depends on what college!

If you completed FdDg at Warsash you do NOT have to return to college again - the only requirement is that you need to have NARAS(M), MFA and your MCA Signals Certificate (it only lasts 2 years so you need to do this again)...

The "Chief Mates course" for post FdDg at Warsash is 8 weeks - of that 1 week = NARAS(M), the other 7 weeks are optional revision lectures (given that its only a few ?100 more than doing NARAS(M) on its own, its worthwhile doing the 7 weeks revision too but this is entirely optional).
                    Last edited by alistairuk; 18 January 2012, 11:48 PM.
                    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Fair enough, most people seem to do the full course anyway given the amount you're bound to forget in the three-odd years.
                      sigpic

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                      x
                      x
                      Working...
                      X