•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jc173
    replied
    Originally posted by Clanky View Post
    I would think twice before packing a litre (or more) of sticky smelly liquid in your suitcase if you have to fly anywahere.
    Make sure it's pretty well packed?

Leave a comment:

• Ducki52
    replied
    I would think twice before packing a litre (or more) of sticky smelly liquid in your suitcase if you have to fly anywahere.
    When I go out in the field anything like that (juice, talc, chilli sauce etc) gets wrapped up in resealable bags. They're about 3 quid for sixty and well worth it.
    Last edited by Ducki52; 1 January 2012, 05:36 PM. Reason: mong spelling

Leave a comment:

• Clanky
    replied
    Originally posted by jc173 View Post
    Another thing if you like it... Orange Squash because I didn't find it ANYWHERE when I was away...

Leave a comment:

• jc173
    replied
    Another thing if you like it... Orange Squash because I didn't find it ANYWHERE when I was away...

Leave a comment:

• alistairuk
    replied
    Originally posted by EFC92 View Post
    is sun cream necessary?
    In the north sea - no... But if your likely to be somewhere sunny yes - the water reflects the sun thus you will burn very quickly even if it's cold! I managed to get sunburnt in Antarctica where temp never made it above 10!

Leave a comment:

• EFC92
    replied
    is sun cream necessary?, what about own safety boots?

Leave a comment:

• YoungMariner
    replied
    The first trip, you'll almost certainly take too much. But after that you'll realise, most of the stuff you don't need. You also don't need a fancy wardrobe. Something worth noting is that combat trousers weigh much less then jeans, and wash/dry quicker.

Leave a comment:

• antijanner
    replied
    I did a blog on this a while back

Here in fact

http://antijanner.wordpress.com/2011...o-take-to-sea/

Leave a comment:

• Martyboy
    replied
    Speakers are an essential I think, Cabins on a ship are strangely sound proofed and laptop speakers aren't good, I used to have my laptop on with the speakers and the bathroom door opened while I was in the shower

An Idea might be to take some blank CD's with you so you can burn some music for the gym, if your a gym bunny that is..... Another think I would recommend is either buy Riggers or take shoe laces. Its a long 3 months when your shoe laces snap and you have to try construct shoe laces from whatever s lying around. Razors, CHEWING GUM! usually tale about 10 packs with me Not sure what college your at, but i'd recommend raiding your colleges moodle for all its worth before going. Make sure you have a gig stick if you take a laptop, so you can write reports and then transfer them to the ships computer for printing, also you can take the digital copies of the deck and engine manuals for the ship in case you need to refer to them in the future..... Or want to read them in your cabin, alarm clock if your not taking your phone. Also... Make sure your phone is set up for international roaming, Calling India, from Australia, Via the Sat Phone, Via a line in the UK... isn't the easiest conversation to have when trying to get roaming activated.....

Thats all I can think of for now

Leave a comment:

• ETwhat?
    replied
    To further what Clanky has said if you have gone to the effort of scanning them in, then email them to yourself on web based email (or use a cloud drive) that way you can get into them regardless of where you are as long as you have internet access,

Leave a comment:

• Clanky
    replied
    That's a good point Lewis. I have all my certificates scanned into my laptop, but I always carry the originals in my hand luggage as I figure I am less likely to lose that than the baggage handlers in Madrid are to lose my hold bag.

Leave a comment:

• Lewis
    replied

Passport

Discharge Book

ENG1 Medical Certificate

Originals of all Certificates such as fire fighting, first aid, sea survival (or whatever they call it these days)

take 2 copies leave one in safe place at home and carry the other in a different bag from the originals.

Leave a comment:

• jc173
    replied
    I certainly know with my company you don't know about your offloading until 2 weeks or so before your due off!
    Approx 4 months transpired into nearly 5 for me... but Laptop & External Hard Drive!

Leave a comment:

• Fionelo
    replied
    Originally posted by Randomist View Post
    DVD's/External Hard Drive

LAPTOP!!!
    If you forget these, you're in for a loooooooooooong 4 months

Leave a comment:

• alistairuk
    replied
    Originally posted by kris View Post
    ty for the replies Just another quick question who decides when i come off the ship? I mean i would like to do around 4 months to the end of april but i havnt told anyone this, so how do i go about coming off the ship do i inform the captain or my company or what? As i would be getting off in another country do i need to let them know in advance to book my plane tickets? And how far in advance? Thanks
    Your company will decide when you are leaving the vessel, so if you have a reason that requires you back in 4 months you should ensure your company is aware before you go - most will provide an estimated date which is subject to change. It is normal to get flight details a week (or even the day) before leaving the ship.

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X