Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you find out about a career at sea/the merchant navy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you find out about a career at sea/the merchant navy?

How did you find out about a Career in the Merchant Navy? Was it a friend, family member, recruitment fair or school? Do you think that enough is done in schools to encourage a career in the Merchant Navy and give you thep correct guidance.

I personally decided to go to sea after a friend who used to work for Shell told me about his experiences.
    School Careers Talk/Careers Advisor
    6.25%
    Recruitment Fair
    3.13%
    Friends in the Merchant Navy
    18.75%
    Family in the Merchant Navy
    31.25%
    Other
    40.63%

I found out about the job because my dad is a deck officer in the merchant navy. At my school there was a tiny A4 size poster on one of the doors and nothing else, so in my experiance not much was being done to recruit people or to give infomation on the merchant navy. The lack of info is terrible, When I told one of my old class mates that I'm a cadet she asked what warship Im on. Also she had no idea how all the things poeple buys gets into the country.
    lead,follow or get out of the way

Comment

good mate of mine is a 2nd officer and has been for a number of years.... i spent a lot of time doing the careers and personality quizzes and a lot of research as its 2nd time lucky and found the careers at sea website and it all went from there.

Comment

As someone who's never really known what direction to go in I have been to my fair share of careers events/talks looking for something that inspired me to go in a certain direction and have to say never ever was a career at sea (other than the RN) mentioned at all, not even in school. I only really found out about a merchant navy career after a chance conversation with someone who I hadn't seen for years and has recently qualified as a Deck Officer. Currently knee deep in applications trying to make up for lost time!

Comment

I was on my regiment's yacht, sailing past Warsash on our way to moor up at Hamble Marina, and the mate pointed out what it was and what the acadeny did, and I thought I fancied a slice of that. And as the above poster, now knee deep in applications
          "Crazy like wild wolves threatened by fire, send them all to the bottom of the sea."

Comment

need a multiple entry button....
            Father was a Chief
            AND
            I went to Trinity House School (back before they let women in as teachers never mind girls as students!)
            Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
            Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
            No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

I found out about the job after talking to a friend who dreamt of working onboard the Cross Channel Ferries. At first I wasn't too interested but looked it up anyway on Careersatsea and Ocean Opportunities and discovered that working onboard cruise ships was the thing for me!

Comment

It's interesting to note already in this poll that careers advisors and recruitment fairs seems to feature fairly low, and mirrored by some comments already that the schools aren't well equipped to advise on the Merchant Navy.

I find the stories of how people got into the MN quite interesting, and look forward to hearing more, especially from people who voted 'other'.

Comment

It was a family tradition that i've now gone and buggered up by becoming an Engineer and not a deckie...
                  I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by AncientMariner View Post
                    It's interesting to note already in this poll that careers advisors and recruitment fairs seems to feature fairly low.
                    I bucked the trend then; I attended a careers fair at GCNS(while unemployed and very disillusioned) and got spun a sufficiently convincing line by Ian Fraser that I applied to Clyde Marine to get on their Graduate Conversion scheme. The rest is history.
                    '... English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't
                    just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages
                    down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for
                    new vocabulary.' - James Davis Nicoll

Comment

Combination of family and internet for me. Took a Stena Line ferry one evening, thought "hey, I could drive ships", went home and Googled it. My grandfather was MN so that helped.
                      sigpic
                      Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

I said friends in the MN, which is true, but I made those friends by working on a Tall Ship Started paying for the experience, and ended up getting paid to do what I loved! I get to go back to my roots in March, but as an Officer this time

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

I voted other - I was talking to somebody at a party who was an marine engineer, a job which didn't appeal to me at the time, and 9 years later I wanted a career change from the investment sector (more holiday, sunshine and less sitting down) and googled marine engineering to see if it appealed and instead discovered a new role which was a much better skills fit for me, ETO.

So in summary a chance meeting with someone from the sector, boredom from office jobs and google.
                          Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

I found a tiny little leaflet in my school, I unfolded it and it was just a long picture of the sea with a quote like 'broaden your horizons' or something. It then said something about becoming an engine, deck, or ETO officer, so I did a wee search online and found out about the merchant navy. I wanted to work at sea anyway after doing the tall ships race a while back, but everywhere was just books, magazines, leaflets, etc. about the Royal Navy in my school, it pissed me off a little.
                            "Did I tell you about my theory about sailors? Sailors are the finest people in the world."

Comment

I was looking for IT jobs after finishing uni and discovered a website offering cadet ships with p&o.
                              ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                              myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X