Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faliing an Alcohol Test

If you fail an alcohol test on board and are only dismissed from the ship and not the sponsor company, is your career still over as a cadet?

Would they take into account performance and character, or is it just plain fail the test and your out?

Admin Note: Thread Approved

For first offence you might get a written/final written warning from your company, but you'll probably find that it's considered gross misconduct so they're within their rights to dismiss you.

Get the union in to represent you, make your best shot and tell them honestly that it won't happen again. If you can't honestly say that then perhaps it's not the best job for you.
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

You are right, legally the Captain of a vessel cannot discharge you from the company, he may only discharge you from the ship.

However, it completely depends on the circumstances of the case and the companies policy as to whether they continue your employment.

To boldly go.....
      Forum Administrator
      OfficerCadet.com

Comment

There is no "first offence" thing in this industry. If you fail the D&A test then so long sucker! Your company will have a Drugs and Alcohol policy. I suggest you read it and follow it closely. If you don't and you get caught then it would be a nice big case of "too sodding bad"...

The only way to avoid being thrown out is if you have a big pair of knockers and your Sponsor (not naming any companies here) is a bit worried that you may sue them for it.
        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I don't endorse it by any means but there have been cases of cadets from various companies being put on warning rather than dismissed for a first offence, primarily because although against company policy and in most cases against the law, the cadet has not caused any actual damage or had any jobs that they were responsible for. Again, I do not agree with this and think if you get caught then you should be given your P45.
          sigpic
          Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Would it make any difference if the Chief Engineer was trying to support you? Him knowing that the incident was completely out of character and isolated? I suppose the only option is the union.

Admin Note: Post Approved

Comment

Whether it's out of character or not and whether the Chief supported your or not, you will still, in all likelihood be going home. The policy is in your smoking room and is visible for all to see. You also should have signed something to say you understand it as well so tough luck.

Also, the union is unlikely to support you for it as you have not been unfairly dismissed. Your policy said XYZ, you violated that policy, end of discussion.

Let me guess? You've recently failed a test and are now pooing yourself?

Comment

[snip]

Well intentioned post but would prefer to avoid sharing such information - CD
                Last edited by CharlieDelta; 1 November 2011, 12:28 AM.
                Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                  [snip]
                  ALL ships carry breathalysers, it's a legal requirement! Things may work differently on tankers as then you have the SIRE/TMSA requirement that the crew be tested by an outside company, and that will usually involve urine testing.

Put it simply, learn what your D&A policy is and follow it. Don't try to get around it, don't try to cheat the tests because you won't be able to do it forever and you will eventually get bounced. There must be something seriously wrong with you if you are incapable of going 4 months without getting yourself completely smashed off your face and if you are incapable of it then this industry is not for you. Alcohol is slowly but surely being removed from vessels and eventually this will become a "dry" industry so I'd start getting used to it now.

Put it simply, The Master (with Superintendent's backing) has the final say as to whether you get bounced off a ship or not, and some have no qualms or problems with doing so.
                  Last edited by CharlieDelta; 1 November 2011, 12:28 AM.

Comment

It's simple, you broke the rules you go home.

What happens next depends on many things. Rightly or wrongly some companies will give you a second chance but they will watch you like a hawk and even a bad exam result etc might be enough to get you fully dismissed.

There are lots of people competing for cadetships, if you cant follow the simple rules then why should they worry, there are plenty more available who can and will.

As for the C/E supporting you, thats his choice and may help save you skin from the company BUT not from the captain, however I am suprosed the C/E is going up against the Captain over such a clear cut breach of policy.
                    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefy View Post
                      It's simple, you broke the rules you go home.

What happens next depends on many things. Rightly or wrongly some companies will give you a second chance but they will watch you like a hawk and even a bad exam result etc might be enough to get you fully dismissed.

There are lots of people competing for cadetships, if you cant follow the simple rules then why should they worry, there are plenty more available who can and will.

As for the C/E supporting you, thats his choice and may help save you skin from the company BUT not from the captain, however I am suprosed the C/E is going up against the Captain over such a clear cut breach of policy.
                      I doubt they would to be totally honest with you....

Comment

I agree with most of the above, generally its the end of the game with alcohol related offences. However, some companies policies vary. I've seen experienced officers sent on rehab courses.

Comment

Originally posted by AncientMariner View Post
                          I agree with most of the above, generally its the end of the game with alcohol related offences. However, some companies policies vary. I've seen experienced officers sent on rehab courses.
                          They have to admit to that before hand though I assume. I know thats what my current company do. If you admit to having a problem with booze then they help, if you get busted during a D&A test then you join the dole queue....

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          x
                          Working...
                          X