Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Becoming a cadet with no qualifications??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming a cadet with no qualifications??

I left school about 25 years ago with no qualifications, what if I wanted to become a deck cadet, could I just put on the application that I have the qualifications required, and hope they don't check, would they be able to check that far back?? Or is it up to the cadet to prove they have the right qualifications?

I have done a day skipper RYA course and really enjoyed the work.
    I am sure I would do well as a deck cadet.

What do you folks think, do I have a chance?

The colleges check your certificates as part of enrolment, so could prove difficult. Might be worth asking the colleges themselves about the possibility of waiving some requirements as a mature student before approaching companies.
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Thanks didn't think of that.
      I should phone around some collages on Monday to see what they have to say.
      I suppose a better way would be to enter as a rating, but these opportunities seem very few and far between.

Comment

Or you could enroll at night school for higher/a level maths and physics, then you would be set for this time next year.

Comment

Far as I know you don't need qualifications to start as an OS (ordinary seaman), could apply to companies for that position and work your way up that way. Though I could be wrong !
          Life at sea is a life for me

Comment

To be honest they seem stringent enough when it comes to the requirements now, particularly on maths. I think really your only option would be something along the lines of what Lewis suggested; doing college sessions to attain your GCSEs. As for A Levels, I think you need to have a certain standard of grades in your GCSEs first, before advancing (if you wished) onto A Levels.

Maybe your best bet would be to contact your nearest college, and just seek some advice from them as to what your next steps should be.

Good luck!

Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              I left school about 25 years ago with no qualifications, what if I wanted to become a deck cadet, could I just put on the application that I have the qualifications required, and hope they don't check, would they be able to check that far back?? Or is it up to the cadet to prove they have the right qualifications?

I have done a day skipper RYA course and really enjoyed the work.
              I am sure I would do well as a deck cadet.

What do you folks think, do I have a chance?
              If you are not a school leaver the entry requirements are different for you (due to "life experience"). Contact one of the colleges directly to enquire - or contact one of the companies you are interested in.

Alternatively, there are other means of gaining the OOW qualification outwit the sponsored schemes - you can also get financial help from Nautilus with progressing from AB level to OOW level.

Comment

Thanks for all your replies, some very useful information there, now I have something to get working on. Thank you.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                x
                x
                Working...
                X