Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoes on board

I'm with Clyde and we got given whites (shorts and tropical socks) included in our sea-going uniform but no shoes to go with them (the only shoes we have been given are black safety shoes).

Are you allowed to wear white plimsolls with your whites on board? Or does your company supply you with white shoes when onboard? Finally, are the black safety shoes to be worn with the black pants and nato jumper? I wish Clyde would of told us this information when we recieved our uniforms!

(Note to the mod - I have posted this anonymously as I have mentioned Clyde personally)

Admin Note:Randomist
    Approved Thread

What company are you going to be sailing with?

You may not actually have to wear the whites at all, if you're on a cargo ship, but it depends on the company. If you do have to wear the whites you will need white shoes to go with, my personal preference is deck shoes, but they are quite pricey. I've seen a wide variety of white shoes being worn (even on a passie ship) so most things can be gotten away with. Some companies will provide white shoes but charge you for them, in which case it's best to get your own as it'll probably be cheaper and more comfortable.

The black safety shoes can be worn with boiler suits and the black trousers uniform, but must be worn if you're working on deck etc, you don't have to wear them on the bridge, but a lot of people do as you then don't have to go changing shoes. They're not the comfiest shoes in the world though.

Your best bet is to get in touch with the ship you'll be joining, if possible, (when you've found out where you're going) and ask them what you should take in the way of uniform, people in an office very rarely seem to get this information right!!

There's another thread about uniform going on here, starts off on a different area, but ends up in the same area..
    http://www.officercadet.com/showthre...d-pilot-shirts
    Last edited by size4riggerboots; 20 July 2011, 04:31 PM. Reason: adding information

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X