This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falling off of a Ship

Hey I am terrified of this possibility, I mean, does this happen often ? And if so what do you do and how do you prevent it I mean, what if your just looking out and nasty wave bumps you over ?

Admin Action: Randomist Thread Approved
    Last edited by Randomist; 19 July 2011, 09:49 PM.

Chill, it's going to take a serious amount of effort for you to "fall" off a ship. Most bridges are Waaaaaaay higher than most waves will reach.

Bridges (where you look out from) have these things called windows, (this kinda implies that there are wall type things where there are no windows). Bridge wings have these wall type things up to above waist height and there are raily things around the rest of the ship too.

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Although one of my fellow cadets managed to fall out the bloody shell door into the harbour - much to everyones amusement :-)
      ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
      myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

I must confess I have a huge fear of falling between the ship and the quayside, especially in the ones that don't have ladders on the quayside or anything to cling on to. That and bursting Yokohama fenders... Ok, I'm strange.
        sigpic
        Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

if it did happen (not that it should) I believe most if not all ships have fast rescue craft to get you back but that shouldn't happen in the first place

but never say never if you have a fear of it just make a effort to watch your step and get your sea legs and then it should start to fade away
          Be what you want to be not what other people tell you to be
          Adapt and over come
          Careers At Sea Ambassador

Comment

just dont fall in around the gulf of aden :P
            Sent using advanced stick technology.

Comment

Originally posted by alistairuk View Post
              Although one of my fellow cadets managed to fall out the bloody shell door into the harbour - much to everyones amusement :-)
              That's why you get harnesses to wear when rigging pilot ladders and hanging around shell doors. Not that anyone actually uses them ever, but once provided, if you fall in, it's your fault.

Size4riggerboots

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                Hey I am terrified of this possibility, I mean, does this happen often ? And if so what do you do and how do you prevent it I mean, what if your just looking out and nasty wave bumps you over ?
                When you hear about people falling from ships, generally passenger ships, in the news it's more often then not a polite way of saying they jumped.
                When it is a genuine fall the person involved was probably doing something they shouldn't have like being pissed up and sitting on the rail!

Comment

Originally posted by stronglead View Post
                  if it did happen (not that it should) I believe most if not all ships have fast rescue craft to get you back but that shouldn't happen in the first place

but never say never if you have a fear of it just make a effort to watch your step and get your sea legs and then it should start to fade away
                  Passenger ships and some North Sea ships will have FRC's, most cargo ships generally won't. One of the lifeboats will normally be appointed the "rescue boat".
                  I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

well there you have it haha still somthing there to get you back
                    Be what you want to be not what other people tell you to be
                    Adapt and over come
                    Careers At Sea Ambassador

Comment

Originally posted by stronglead View Post
                      well there you have it haha still somthing there to get you back
                      If someone see's you go over and if they can find you. Remember, the only thing they can see from the bridge is your head when you're in the water!
                      I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

People occasionally do fall in but it does take a lot of effort. There are bulwarks and railings to stop you and if you do have to work anywhere that there isn't any protection then you will be wearing a harness. If the worst happens and you do fall over the side then almost every single cargo ship now has a rescue boat and if they don't then one of the lifeboats will be a designated rescue boat, but that just usually means that it can be hauled back onboard a bit quicker.

If you are genuinely worried about it then go on a ferry and see how you feel standing at the railings. Although maybe avoid Calmac, their safety announcements have a recent addition that warns you not to dangle your children over the side so that might put you off a bit!

Comment

Originally posted by minchmermaid View Post
                          If you are genuinely worried about it then go on a ferry and see how you feel standing at the railings. Although maybe avoid Calmac, their safety announcements have a recent addition that warns you not to dangle your children over the side so that might put you off a bit!
                          That really warrants an announcement. If somebody is stupid enough to try this at least it has the added affect of removing there genes from being passed on as it goes wrong.

Comment

If you're that worried about it, you probably shouldn't be joining the MN.

Size4riggerboots

Comment

I think this topic has been exhausted now.

Thread Closed

To boldly go.....
                              Forum Administrator
                              OfficerCadet.com

Comment

Working...
                              X