Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would this put a negative on my whole application?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this put a negative on my whole application?

Hi.

I have started applying, but for deck AND engineer with different companies, reason being...

My mum is a deck officer and my dad is a marine engineer (Merchant and Royal Navy respectively).

I have interests in both, and to be honest, would be happy with either...

How do I pick? Can I apply for both?

I'm scared my application would be rejected on the "he doesn't know anything about what he wants to do" lines.

Approved Thread
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

It might be worth working out exactly which you would prefer. There's always the chance that you'll start down one route and then at some stage wish you had picked the other, and regrets aren't a nice thing to have.

Companies might not neccesarily look down on this, in fact they might be happy to have someone so enthusiastic and flexible. But, at the end of the day, this will be your career for (hopefully) a long time.
      sigpic
      Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

I basically chose Deck over Engineer in the last few days before sending away the application, I don't see a massive problem in applying for both for different companies as it gives you a bit more time to decide which you would prefer too.

I'd write up a list of the pro's and cons of both for you and decide that way.

Comment

Thanks Charlie.

Who is more employable, are companies screaming more for clankies or deckies?

What is the general opinion on both of them, is one excruciatingly (sp?) boring?

Decisions, decisions... I wanna be 7 years old again.

Comment

I'd say it depends on your interests as to which would be the more exciting/interesting, also with the increase in people going onshore at the first chance and an ageing workforce there are jobs available on both sides.

Comment

^^ As Jonny says, it depends heavily on your interests.

Dual cadetships don't really happen that often anymore, definitely not in this country any more. So if you wanted a certificate in both you would have to do 2 separate cadetships. Both of them three years long.

Your certificate of competency will only let you do the job it says, so I would chose the one that interests you the most.

I personally wanted to become a deck officer because I knew I wouldn't enjoy working in the engine room every day. Not that there's anything wrong with it, just personal preference. I know plenty of engineers who couldn't stand looking out of the window everyday

To boldly go.....
              Forum Administrator
              OfficerCadet.com

Comment

As your applying to different companies they shouldnt know that you are looking at the other options. The only limiting factor is that if you get unlucky you could end up missing out, a company that you apply to for deck may not want you as a deckie, so really your halving your chances although since lots of cadets get offers from a few places that they apply to i wouldnt really worry too much about that.

Talk to your folks and get an idea of the bad points, and remember that the RN is not the MN and so an engineers experiences in one will be different to the other. As has been said you really need to choose instead of letting fate decide for you as i doubt that you would find another cadetship after the first one.
                you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                x
                x
                Working...
                X